iMac loses ethernet connection after power outage.

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My iMac DVSE 400 running the latest version of OS X shut down last night when a lightning bolt hit a transformer by our house. Our power was out all night.

When I turned everything back on, including my cable modem, my iMac will now not see this connection.

I plug the cable modem into my PB and it sees it instantly.

I have rebooted both the iMac and the modem multiple times, repaired permissions, etc. I did have to reset the date on my computer the first time I turned it on after the outage.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    Installed the 10.3.5 combo updater. No luck.

Did complete maintenance with Onyx. No luck.

Plug into my PB and instantly works.

Can use my PB as an Airport Base Station to connect the iMac with Airport to the internet. Works smoothly.

Could my ethernet port be crapped? Could a storm do that? Without hurting the cable modem?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

Could my ethernet port be crapped? Could a storm do that? Without hurting the cable modem?

This is possible, yes. Does System Profiler see the Ethernet port?
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Had a similar problem with a tray-load iMac 333 with the Ethernet port going. AppleCare replaced the motherboard (back when it was still in).

If you can't get any connection lights when booting from a system CD, then unfortunately the port is gone.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jambo

This is possible, yes. Does System Profiler see the Ethernet port?

In system profiler under Software>Network it sees

built in Ethernet

Interface: en0

Type: Ethernet

Ethernet Address: shows address.

In network status in system preferences it won't show that the ethernet is plugged in. I even tried a different cable but since it works with my PB didn't figure that was it anyway.

Good excuse to buy an Airport Express, eh?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Well, I went ahead and bought an Airport Express. Works great. Now I am totally wireless with the network. XP even instantly saw the network.

Someone suggested that I try to hook up an ethernet cable to my iMac and PB. Did that and noticed no difference. Appears the port is really shot.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    yep, best thing i bought that i never "use" is my UPS from APC. and nwo that panther finally has basic UPS capabilities built-in, it actually runs CORRECTLY. i plan to invest in a couple more for my other computers/routers/modem, just so we can have some internet access when the ights go out (it's amazing how often it helps to be able to search for phone numbers on the internet when the lights go out).
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Know what you mean rok. Last night we were running around using our iPods as flashlights. Used a palm pilot as our alarm clock.

Have to use an old analog phone we keep in the basement.