Sick of M$

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hello all I am looking to buy a Mac after M$ new service pack and the fact the have taken the stance of hey lets just block vunrabilities in our software verses fixing them my attention has turned to Mac.

I have not owned a Mac scince the IIe so to say the least I am out of the loop on Mac's I am looking for a computer comparable to my current setup Asus a7n8x-x AMD 2500 barton OCed to 2800 512 mb of pc2700 dual channel ATI 9000

(like to do better on the Video card)

How does a Mac compare to speeds and performance verses a PC ? I must admit a custom Unix OS sounds very appealing but my main concern with Mac is upgradeability most of my PC buddies tell me you can't upgrade a Mac i.e. change video cards and add other hardware is this the case ?

With out starting a Mac v PC war what are the advantages of owning a Mac over a PC?

Thanks for all your help in advance

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    You need to look at what you use a computer for before deciding on what hardware to use. I personally use a iMac at home and a Compaq at work. I find the Mac to be hassle free. You can refer to Apple's website for reasons to switch to a Mac, etc.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

You need to look at what you use a computer for before deciding on what hardware to use. I personally use a iMac at home and a Compaq at work. I find the Mac to be hassle free. You can refer to Apple's website for reasons to switch to a Mac, etc.

Gaming and TONS of video editing.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    regreg Posts: 832member
    For TONS of video editing use the G5 dual. Therefore you are looking at a desktop. Now you need to see how much you want to spend, don't forget to include memory. Since I don't do gaming I cann't help you on which video card.

reg
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Forsaken

most of my PC buddies tell me you can't upgrade a Mac i.e. change video cards and add other hardware is this the case ?

This is true of the all-in-ones for the home or prosumer user (the iMac and eMac), and of course for notebooks (as it is for every PC notebook as well), but not for the PRO machine, the PowerMac G5. Info like this from "PC buddies" is what has kept you and many others from trying the Mac in the first place.

Beware the FUD, in other words.

Other than video cards, it's really not true in practical terms for any Mac including notebooks. Upgrades == FireWire or USB devices for most Mac users (except for RAM of course, which upgrades very easily on ANY Mac).

I currently have both a 250 GB and a 120 GB FireWire external drive, supplementing my 160 GB internal drive, in my iMac. I'd much rather use drives that I can easily plug into my PowerBook or my friends' Macs, than a couple internal drives that could be a pain in the ass to install anyway.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by FormerLurker

This is true of the all-in-ones for the home or prosumer user (the iMac and eMac), and of course for notebooks (as it is for every PC notebook as well), but not for the PRO machine, the PowerMac G5. Info like this from "PC buddies" is what has kept you and many others from trying the Mac in the first place.

Beware the FUD, in other words.

Other than video cards, it's really not true in practical terms for any Mac including notebooks. Upgrades == FireWire or USB devices for most Mac users (except for RAM of course, which upgrades very easily on ANY Mac).

I currently have both a 250 GB and a 120 GB FireWire external drive, supplementing my 160 GB internal drive, in my iMac. I'd much rather use drives that I can easily plug into my PowerBook or my friends' Macs, than a couple internal drives that could be a pain in the ass to install anyway.

Sounds like the G5 is the way to go One more question how stable and virus resistant is OS X ?

Almost forgot how secure is OS X .
  • Reply 6 of 11
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Forsaken

Sounds like the G5 is the way to go One more question how stable and virus resistant is OS X ?

Almost forgot how secure is OS X .

Known viruses for OS X: 0

Stable? My iBook's uptime is defined by Apple's security update releases. Last time, Apple went 62 days between updates, and I went 62 days between reboots. That was 13 days ago, and now I'm at 13 days and counting. And I stress my little iBook so bad I'm amazed the keyboard hasn't melted yet. Stable? No worries.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    Like other's have said, there are no viruses and it is quite stable. Someone more knowledgable should probably answer about security. At its core it just is Unix so it should be pretty secure. On the other hand, you have some control over that, in that you can turn the firewall on and off/ chose whether or not encrypt Airport traffic etc. You can make it insecure if you want.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Mac is not the best platform for games. It is a 'good' platform for games, but games get released for the Mac a few months after they are released on the Windows platform. Some titles don't get ported over. Mac + PS2/XBox is a good combo.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Mac is not the best platform for games. It is a 'good' platform for games, but games get released for the Mac a few months after they are released on the Windows platform. Some titles don't get ported over. Mac + PS2/XBox is a good combo.

I did a google search and came up with one virus for Mac called switch back considering there are over 60,000+ known viri for Windows I say Mac has nothing to worry about

Also why do you say PS2/XBox is a good combo for Mac ?

p.s. Thanks for all the help and advice everyone

Regards.

SoonToBeMacite
  • Reply 10 of 11
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    PCs make me sick too. Terrorist hackers. Are to make a biiig terrorist hacker attack today. Please..

Oh well .. at least pc-wise I don't have to be sick. Working on 3 Macs atm ..
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    If you are doing video, then you will love the Mac. The software availabe for the Mac is heads above anything on the PC side, and there is no extra hardware to buy and a ton of the filters and rendering is Real-time. The upgradeablility of the PowerMac is really no different than any PC, you can upgrade your graphics card, memory up to 8 gigs hard drives, etc. With regards to speed. The Mac is as fast or faster than most PCs because of the software optimization done by Apple, but you really can't compare the two with an ultimate winner. You will be able to have multiple programs open with little to no hinderance on performance and go back and forth between programs...Video Editing on the Mac is just to die for!!

Games, don't play any to tell you the truth, but we get them slower than the PC side, some at the same time, most of the big names only though. So, that is why people say to get a console if you like to play games because that will be your gaming machine.

Security, very secure, no worries there at all.

Stability, kills most anything else out there.

Reliability/Ease of use - Hands down champ!

I use a PC at work, and a Mac at home, I would gladly quit my job and go homeless before I gave up my Mac to work in a PC-only environment or life.