Talk me down!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Ok, I have become frustrated lately and need some words of encouragement. Work makes it hard at times to use my Powerbook. Certain programs require Wimdows. VPC is way too slow and flaky. Now my wife is having a second bout of problems with her iBook. I have actually had thoughts of going back to PC!!! My God someone slap me! I still love my Mac and the wife played with a Dell for an hour and still prefers her broken iBook but I still feel the pull of the flock. I don't want to be a sheep though.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    I'd much prefer a windows laptop over VPC on a laptop.

Perhaps what I'm doing is shouting 'jump!'from the sidewalk below. ;-)

I'm posting from an XP box at work but use a Mac while on my own time. Sometimes the course of least resistence is simpler than fighting for simplicity.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dfryerdfryer Posts: 140member
    What programs specifically do you need Windows for?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    hhoganhhogan Posts: 117member
    There is nothing wrong with using both. I own more PCs than Macs because I'm more productive with them, but enjoy the uniqueness of the Mac when I get sick of the PC side of things.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    sparhawksparhawk Posts: 134member
    *Slap!*
  • Reply 5 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    I have 2 macs and a PC at work. I use the mac most of the time, and I save the PC for AutoCAD, SolidWorks, and Protel. Since I don't like AutoCAD or SolidWorks, mostly I just use FormZ and EI on the Mac and convert when necessary.

The second mac is a server. It's an old DPG4/500 with an ATTO RAID in it. I use it as a backup and as a repository, since I move so much data that I can really bog-down the main server at times. It also runs PHP/Apache/MySQL to hold the lab inventory website. (We have a room full of drawers full of electronics components).

They are all connected via KVM, and the powerbook is set to span. It's really a very nice setup. I keep my email and certain other things on the Powerbook screen so that I can use them without even switching back.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by GreggWSmith

Ok, I have become frustrated lately and need some words of encouragement.

I think you're just having a bad dream. In a moment, the scene will change. You will find yourself in a strange city being chased by a Dell with the face of your boss on its monitor. Turning into a narrow alley way you spy a large, ornate chest. With the Dell narrowing the gap, you decide to seek sanctuary inside the chest.

But when you fling open the lid, all the evils of the Windows world, past and present, come flying out - viruses, trojans, worms, security holes, bugs, every patch MS has ever released, IE with a maniacal grin on its face, adware, spyware, ugly interfaces, bad design, clippy, crashes, dialog boxes displaying gibberish, Steve Ballmer chanting "developers, developers, developers".

At that moment, you awake. Disturbed by your screams, your wife has slapped you into wakefulness. You are exhausted, bed clothes drenched in sweat but with a sigh of relief you realize it was just a nightmare. None of your problems with the Macs will be solved. But you will no longer feel troubled by this. All doubt will have vanished. Your faith restored.

Then you'll pay an exhorbitant amount to get your wife's iBook fixed and even more to get a PC to use at work. But like a sacrificial virgin about to be flung into the pit of fire to appease the angry gods, you will accept to your fate willingly, joyously and without question.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    There has to be a better way, Gregg. A colleague of mine just got a new Dell laptop (well, a couple of months ago, but for all intents and purposes, it was brand new). It had NEVER been on the internet until today because she doesn't have internet at home and had a computer at work that she used. It had been acting funny lately and I just did my usual download anti-virus software and Adaware, just because she was going to get internet at home. In the 30 minutes I spent getting these programs and downloading Earthlink for her, she got some spyware through using IE. I shit you not. 30 minutes and it had a rogue registry key - associated with IE's registry entry. No one needs that.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by torifile

There has to be a better way, Gregg. A colleague of mine just got a new Dell laptop (well, a couple of months ago, but for all intents and purposes, it was brand new). It had NEVER been on the internet until today because she doesn't have internet at home and had a computer at work that she used. It had been acting funny lately and I just did my usual download anti-virus software and Adaware, just because she was going to get internet at home. In the 30 minutes I spent getting these programs and downloading Earthlink for her, she got some spyware through using IE. I shit you not. 30 minutes and it had a rogue registry key - associated with IE's registry entry. No one needs that.

On my work PC I got more than 10 spyware programs, 2 viruses, and some stuff that I couldn't even classify before I even went online. -- Just from the office network, go figure. Windows has way too many back doors. It's a heap of shit, and I'm glad to limit my use.