"Apple are assholes"

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
a quote from my sister after i got my first ipod. she was pretty angry that 409 dollors (all the prices mentions are canadian $$) gets you no dock, no case, no remote for the headphones. at first i was like no way, apple's awesome.

but then i got thinking, hey wtf. my brother bought a $399 MD player and got 2 carrying cases, a car kit (power adapter and tape thingy), remote and some other stuff. and then apple goes ahead and charges an outragous 50 bucks for a case! and 50 bucks for the practically useless dock. sure i know that MDs suck cause they dont even support mp3s and screw up all the time, but the point is how apple is ripping everyone off. i read in an article talking with steve jobs that they make something in the range of $100-150 for each ipod! i mean at least come with a dock and/or case with the base 20gb model. and who knows how much money theyre making on selling those pretty cheap to make docks/cases/remotes

im also considering buying an apple computer but quickly becoming less enthusiastic about it. theyre waay more expensive then pcs. sure they have a better OS and whatever but is it worth the extra cash?? i mean theyre powermac dual 1.8 thats suppose to be a proffesional and top of the line machine costs 2800 and only comes with 256 mb ram and a shitty ass graphics card.(not to mention the over pricing it is to upgrade options like storage, ram, etc) why are they soo dam more expensive, why the hell do they keep theyre higher then average profit margin?? i mean how are they suppose to grow as a company and gain market share with higher prices all the time? no wonder theyre less then %10 percent of the market, theyre making similiar mistakes over and over again, some even from the 80s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    That reminds me... never smoke crack!

GTSC
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by Blascock

[B]but then i got thinking, hey wtf. my brother bought a $399 MD player and got 2 carrying cases, a car kit (power adapter and tape thingy), remote and some other stuff. and then apple goes ahead and charges an outragous 50 bucks for a case! and 50 bucks for the practically useless dock. sure i know that MDs suck cause they dont even support mp3s and screw up all the time, but the point is how apple is ripping everyone off.

So you're comparing a crappy device that tries to 'compensate' with frivolous add-ons (most of which sit unused if you get sick of the device faster due to limited features) with the acknowledged best music player in the world and bitching that the high class player ($10 more) doesn't come with more doodads?

Puhleeze. Don't be a troll.

Design and quality may cost more, but usually retain value and age better.

Quote:

im also considering buying an apple computer but quickly becoming less enthusiastic about it. theyre waay more expensive then pcs. sure they have a better OS and whatever but is it worth the extra cash??

Sing along with me...

Zero known virus/trojan/worms for OS X. Zip. Zilch. Nada. (less than 100 for all Mac OS's)

versus 72,000+ known virus/trojan/worms for Windows with 25 new each week.

2nd chorus might be Spyware, might be Security, or Privacy.

< * cue background singers * >

What's stability and productivity worth? Professionals appreciate uptime.

Total Cost of Ownership of Macs tends to be lower. Less downtime, less maintenance (in part due to higher quality components, in part to better design integration, in part to a more stable Unix based OS).

Who wants to do the other verses?
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by curiousuburb

Who wants to do the other verses?

I want to.

Price shouldn't matter if you want the best.

Mac OS X is the best, doesn't matter what others think.
  • Reply 4 of 28
    No one is forcing you to buy an Apple computer, you can buy it if you want it and if you can afford it. The user experience for Apple products are better than that of Windows.
  • Reply 5 of 28
    jwri004jwri004 Posts: 626member
    This is a crime,

None of the above verses rhyme,

Blascock buy the machine that you think is best,

And puhleeze give the trolling a rest.

• Reply 6 of 28
    sorry, i forgot to mention. i do love the ipod, i think itss great. my sister just kinda got this idea into my head it should really come with more shit. im not trying to bash apple in anyway or anything. and very well put replies talksense101 and jwri004

but anyways. what the hell is trolling??
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

This is a crime,

None of the above verses rhyme,

Blascock buy the machine that you think is best,

And puhleeze give the trolling a rest.

I like verses that don't rhyme.
  • Reply 8 of 28
    Trolling is the art,

Of making posts that make members smart,

Be more positive of the product called iPod,

Or be prepared to be crushed and downtrod!

• Reply 9 of 28
    Quote:

Originally posted by jwri004

Trolling is the art,

Of making posts that make members smart,

Be more positive of the product called iPod,

Or be prepared to be crushed and downtrod!

I want whatever it is that you are smoking.
  • Reply 10 of 28
    Is it worth the not particularly substantial extra cost for a Mac? 100% of course.

I've had two years of use from my 800mhz iMac. In that time I've done every conceivable task I can think of with it.

No system failures, no corrupted files or general nightmares that take a day/week/month/forever to sort out (these were regular occurences when I owned a PC.

Last week I tried to install a basic photo management package onto my girlfriends Sony Vaio, currently having to reinstall the OS because the machine refused to boot into anything but 'Safe' mode afterwards.

Mum's PC is at the rip off shop being 'fixed' yet again.

In fact all my Windows owning friends have regular problems.

Two years on and I've yet to experience any problems.

Is it worth it? Jeez, the time you save on rebooting in a week makes it worth it!
  • Reply 11 of 28
    ijerryijerry Posts: 615member
    I work for a webdesign company that for some reason uses Dells. I bring my Powerbook in daily to work on instead of the Dell, there are some things that I have to use that damn thing for, like MS Access for database design, but I also have to constantly re-map the drives on our network, I have to uninstall adware and spyware, I have to restart if I attempt to load more than 50 photos in photoshop, getting the computer to switch between two programs such as Dreamweaver and PS is a damn nightmare and could ruin or crash the system, and all of my applications forget my preference settings at least once a week. I turn on my powerbook connect to the network and get work done while my Dell reboots or re-installs, and while others are doing the same weekly. We lose about 10 hours a week of uptime from problems with our computers and our network or server. I haven't had one incident with my Powerbook, and everyone at the office is now looking to Apple for their own purchases and several now own the iPod regardless of price. You ask why a Mac?! That is the perfect reason why...I had been using a Mac for so long without being exposed to Windows that for a while there I had forgot how to troubleshoot. That is crazy, and I was happy to find that out. The ease of mind, and the lack of worries about being hacked or infected on the net is just priceless, and well worth the couple of hundred extra. The software is worth more than it is sold for, so you make up your money there as a consumer. Apple are not Assholes, they are perceived that way from a crowd who is used to less than, and who want extras because they know that their device is crap unless they have something extra that they got that they can brag to their friends about...Talk to them in 6 months and I bet that crap gadget they bought has been replaced by a newer crap gadget all trying to be the iPod that we still have after two years....That is what I am talking about...

Rambled on more than I intended....
  • Reply 12 of 28
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    If an asshole releases a solid, quality product at a fair price, I'll buy it. I don't expect to be bosom buddies with Steve Jobs, or anyone else at Apple. I just buy their stuff when it appeals to me.

In your example, is the asshole the company that charges a premium price for an excellent product, or the company that charges hundreds of dollars for something that doesn't even do its primary task reliably? Or both? Frankly, if I'm spending hundreds of dollars I'll buy the product that works, whether or not it comes with an armful of doo-dads, and whether or not the company offering it "are assholes." (Now, if they're unethical or dishonest, that's another question.)

• Reply 13 of 28
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

I want whatever it is that you are smoking.

I want two of whatever he's smoking!
  • Reply 14 of 28
    I could get two 20 GB iPods for the price I paid for my 15GB. But then I've had an iPod to love and cherish for almost 18 months. And you haven't. Sucker!

Apple - relatively small company compared to many of its competitors. High R&D budget (one of the highest IIRC). More to the point, they spend the budget developing products that are well-thought out, that aim to do what you want them to do in the best possible way, that are genuinely trying to be great (even if they don't always hit the mark).

I'm happy to pay extra just for this.

As opposed to developing products that don't do their job well at all and where the bells and whistles are more marketing tool than a benefit to the user.

If you think of the difference between a hand-made item and a mass-produced one, Apple are trying to make the hand-made one for as close to the cost of the mass-produced one as they can get. It's a very difficult balancing act. Hats off to 'em for succeeding as well as they do. Sometimes I think Apple's greatest strength is also it's biggest enemy - that they really are passionate about this stuff.

I might have agreed with you on some points (like low ram) but as you slagged off the iPod so badly, I'm not gonna.
  • Reply 15 of 28
    For poor Blascock "the troll"

His thoughts have taken a toll,

His intentions may have been good,

And maybe we all have misunderstood.

He slammed the Pod,

We labelled him a sod,

I think the time has come,

For all to settle down some.

• Reply 16 of 28
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:

snipe

and I am pissed that a hummer H1 costs ~$100,000 with little comfort, when a Ford explorer is fully loaded at 30k

moral of the story, get what ya pay dor.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    guys guys, i love the ipod. its an amazing device. and i love itunes, ive been using it since it came out on windows. and i know the MDs suck, they always break and screw up. i was just trying to say that apples a little chinsy on the extra stuff. but its no biggy
  • Reply 18 of 28
    Quote:

guys guys, i love the ipod. its an amazing device. and i love itunes, ive been using it since it came out on windows. and i know the MDs suck, they always break and screw up. i was just trying to say that apples a little chinsy on the extra stuff. but its no biggy

It came across as whining that a well balanced, delicious, gourmet dinner doesn't come with a toy, therefore isn't as good as a happy meal.

If you measured the quality or nutritional value of food by the folding hat, action figure and antenna ball, more than your shelves would be bloated by filler, and you'd get a similar reaction complaining on a cooking site. Particularly if you titled the thread "Julia Child is an asshole", and filled it with chip-on-your-shoulder language.

(Decided to try something other than the car analogy.)
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Quote:

Too late! We all hate you now.

Seriously, I don't think anyone's particularly pissed off with you. Besides, we got to have a sing-along.
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Quote:

but anyways. what the hell is trolling??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll