Somethings happening

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple shares hit $35 this morning after 3 hours of trading. Thats up 2 dollars

in a down market on over 9 million shares. Average daily volume is a little over 4 million shares. This exceeds its 52 week high of $34.19

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I think it may have something to do with Apple Expo 2004 being right around the corner and the high anticipation for the iMac G5.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    It's called industrial espionage -- insider trading!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Feh. Not even.

This is normal... stock price gets run up just prior to an Expo or other big event, then drops like a rock afterwards.

This is also one of the prime reasons Steverino has been moving away from using these events as the only time new products are announced... it was too predictable, and caused artificial stock price swings. Good bet that this is a shoe-in for the new iMac though, so the stock is doing the normal Expo-tango.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    snipesnipe Posts: 97member
    Stock has dropped back to $34.57 after hitting $35.18. Floor traders have been spreading rumours about Sony takeover but this is being dismissed as SJ still recovering and not in talks as well as too much overlap in companies unless Sony wanted the iPod division
  • Reply 5 of 26
    The stock historically has run up prior to a MW event and then dropped back afterwards. Some of the increase is probably due to a deal Apple and Sprint just announced... here.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    And the deal that Florida State and Apple are about to make. www.macminute.com
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Or maybe rumors that the hPod is about to go on sale...maybe 9/5.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    What is the purpose of the HP iPod again? how is it different?
  • Reply 9 of 26
    messiahtoshmessiahtosh Posts: 1,754member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ArticulatedArm

It just effectively broadens Apple's distribution channels and gets the iPod and iTunes market share up. HP will bundle iTunes on their media center PC's and sell an HP branded iPod, of which Apple still gets royalties. Win/win situation.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    Quote:

It will be sold through like...um...a billion more locations than Apple's. I hope anyway.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Stock has dropped back to $34.57 after hitting $35.18. Floor traders have been spreading rumours about Sony takeover but this is being dismissed as SJ still recovering and not in talks as well as too much overlap in companies unless Sony wanted the iPod division

Sony! No way. I don't like the thought of that at all.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    macsrgood4umacsrgood4u Posts: 3,007member
    The HPod will be unveiled tomorrow according to CNET. Also all HP consumer desktops will have iTunes as the default music player with iTMS the default store. Quicktime will also be the default media player. With 100 times (or more?) outlets around the world HP is gonna sell quite a few blue HPods. There could be nearly a doubling of sales this Holiday Season of the 'Pod. This news is helping spike Apple shares up today.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by snipe

Apple shares hit $35 this morning after 3 hours of trading. Thats up 2 dollars

in a down market on over 9 million shares. Average daily volume is a little over 4 million shares. This exceeds its 52 week high of $34.19

I just bought a few million shares to drive the price up. That's what happened.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    perhaps the motorola deal with 3g providers and docomo is also helping things.

God I hope it isn't the sony thing again.

Hope Springs Eternal,

Mandricard

AppleOutsider
  • Reply 15 of 26
    3.14163.1416 Posts: 120member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

This is normal... stock price gets run up just prior to an Expo or other big event, then drops like a rock afterwards.

Exactly. I usually believe the efficient market theory, but stuff like this makes me wonder. I sold my AAPL today and plan to buy it back in a few weeks at around 31 or 32.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    vinney57vinney57 Posts: 1,162member
    Quote:

Its a disgusting blue colour
  • Reply 17 of 26
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Apple can't even come close to keeping up with the iPod demand for the

world market for mac users! Can you imagine what kind of backlog

is going to occur when HP starts selling iPods. Apple needs to ramp up

production 5 to 10 times their current levels.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

perhaps they are being manufactured by HP as well?
  • Reply 19 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by mello

It seems that the Mini is the one that is primarily supply constrained right now. The big brother should be okay. Besides, Apple (and its suppliers) have likely been gearing up for this all spring and summer.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Indeed 'something' IS happening.

It's been happening for a while now...

Regarding the HP iPod. This is massive.

Apple gears up production for tens of thousands more outlets around the world. Ramping up manufacturing for this kind of scale...

...could be part of the plan to transition Apple from being a $7 billion dollar turnover company to $10 billion.

A significant step in manufacturing output to take Apple to the next level...the kind of Sony and M$ and HP sort of levels.

What would be MORE interesting...was if HP were to license the new iMac G5 and STICK THAT in its 28,000 distribution points. A blue iMac. A blue iBook. A blue annodized Powerbook.

This would be the next step to kickstart the Mac division to get on track to that 10%.

HP have already squared up to M$ over iPod/iTunes.

Next...the Mac?

I'd love to see Apple grow some stones and do a Mac deal with someone like HP as, face it, 28000 more places were Apple doesn't have a hold.

This could really push Apple into a $10 billion dollar company.

Fingers crossed. HP could be the only licensed Wintel seller of Mac PPC!

Pushing something 'different' to PC customers fed up of virus etc. HP and Apple would make heaps. Take a cut each.

lemon bon bon