Radeon 7000 vs. Rage Pro 128 Comparisson

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not very knowledgable in the world of video cards... Could someone tell me how much better the Radeon card would be compared to the older Rage card? Any links to benchmark sites would also be appreciated!

I'm looking at replacing my older Rage card with a newer card for better gameplay, and also a card that can take advantage of Apple's new Quartz Extreme. see this link.

<a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16006&db=macosx"; target="_blank">Versiontracker</a>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    I actually believe, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that the original Radeon Mac Edition is actually faster than the new Radeon 7000. All I can say is that your FPS should be at least 2X that of the Rage 128 with the Radeon Mac Editon. I don't really know what kind of frame rates you'd get with the 7000 but most likely a couple under the original Radeon. I hope that helps.
  • Reply 2 of 12
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    all i can say about radeon 7000 vs rage pro 128 is that both cards are bad.

As the dude say the radeon 7000 is slower than the original radeon card but probabily much faster than the rage pro 128.

But the point is : avoid these two cards if you want to do 3D.

the radeon 7500 is a much better choice, and there will be promotions in the future for the radeon 8500 since the introduction of the radeon 9000.

Geforce 4 mx are a much better deal than any radeon 7000.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    [quote]Originally posted by Powerdoc:

<strong>all i can say about radeon 7000 vs rage pro 128 is that both cards are bad.

As the dude say the radeon 7000 is slower than the original radeon card but probabily much faster than the rage pro 128.

But the point is : avoid these two cards if you want to do 3D.

the radeon 7500 is a much better choice, and there will be promotions in the future for the radeon 8500 since the introduction of the radeon 9000.

Geforce 4 mx are a much better deal than any radeon 7000.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I was assuming that he had a PCI PowerMac since he wanted the 7000, but if that actually is not the case, go with the Radeon 8500. It is much better than the 7000. Or go with the Radeon 9000 which is a little slower and cheaper than the 8500.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/"; target="_blank">Xlr8yourmac.com</a> is usually a good place to find benchmarks on video cards and other such.

Blueflame

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: Blueflame ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 12
    What model Mac are you using?
  • Reply 6 of 12
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    I'm using a PowerMac G4 466 (Digital Audio Model)

It does have a 4x AGP slot, but I was just looking at the whole upgrade through the eyes of a "poor student". I've currently got a Rage 128 card. It's the card that came with the machine, but it was already 1.5 years old when the system shipped. So by today's standards it's quite dated, and due for an upgrade.

I think I've decided to get the 8500. It is a little more expensive, but I think it'll definately be worth it. I'm hoping the Quartz Extreme can make up where my G4 processor lags... I do a LOT of Photoshop work, and somedays the system is just pushed to it's limits.

Oh... I Also heard that ATI cards are better for 2D graphics (ie: Photoshop, Illustrator) than nVidia cards.... ??

Thanks for all the help!

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: erbium ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    If hes looking at the 7000, he's obviously on a PCI mac or looking for a second display card.(well he obviously wasn't, good he asked)

Since the Radeon 7000 is the last PCI card available, I'd recommend getting that, or if you can still find one, an original radeon PCI Mac edition, which is faster, but also more expensive, and not capable of driving 2 monitors at once.

As for speed levels, it's: (slow to fast)

Rage 128 (rev a)

Rage 128 (rev b, identical to PC version)

Rage 128 Pro

(Rage 128 Ultra)

Radeon 7000

Radeon Mac Edition

Then it would go on with AGP cards:

Radeon 7500 (faster Radeon core)

Radeon 8500LE (not available on Mac I think)

Radeon 9000 Pro

Radeon 8500

Radeon 9700 Pro

as for nVidia cards, it's:

(AGP only)

GeForce 2 MX 200 (flashable)

GeForce 2

GeForce 2 MX 400 (not flashable)

GeForce 256 (not on Mac)

GeForce 2 (not on Mac)

GeForce 2 Pro (not on Mac)

GeForce 4 MX 420

GeForce 2 Ultra (all the same except for clockspeed) (not on Mac)

GeForce 4 MX 440

GeForce 4 MX 460

GeForce 3 ti 200

GeForce 3

GeForce 3 Ti 500

GeForce 4 ti 4200

GF4 Ti 4400

GF4 ti 4600

Of course that's only roughly so.

Note that any machine prior to a Blue&white G3 has never been successfully used in conjunction with a flashed PC GeForce 2 MX PCI card.

Only few companies even make PCI nvidia cards, and none of them officially support Mac OS 9 or X.

G-News

[ 09-02-2002: Message edited by: G-News ]</p>
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Ok, I got you covered now.

Go <a href="http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=c9e749bb78957d5b4c84c06fc084e233&; postid=993285#post993285" target="_blank">here</a>

(that's the last page of the thread so you might wanna read through it)

The PC Radeon 8500s can be had for as little as $100 now, and your best bet is to find a regular stock ATI retail card. newegg.com would be a good site to check, I think they have the retails sellin pretty cheap. It's pretty easy to flash one in your G4 so just read the instructions on how to do this. Also check xlr8yourmac.com .

If you can wait, the Radeon 9700 should be out in a couple months, although it will cost a fair penny. Most likely I'm going to switch my GF4MX card out for one. As soon as Mac drivers are leaked guys will be flashing these cards as well.

I'll try to simplify your search and give you an exact card to look for and instructions.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    G-News, there is some stuff that needs to be corrected in your vid-card list

?the GeForce 2 MX 400 is flashable, I did this, others did this

?I believe there is no such thing as a GeForce 2 (and only that), GeForce 2 GTS is the name, and is between GF2MX400 and GF2Pro in performance.

? The GeForce 256 is the slowest GeForce-card (and it's the original one). The GF2MX 200 might be slower than the '256 one, I'm not quite sure.

? the Geforce 3 ti 200/500 is "(not for mac)

?the Mac-edition RADEON 8500 is a mix of pure 8500 and 8500LE (slower GPU, same RAM)
  • Reply 10 of 12
    erbiumerbium Posts: 354member
    Well, I just solved my graphics card dilema. Just ordered a Radeon 8500 card today. I know it's not top of the line, but it will definitely be a nice upgrade to my ancient Rage 128 card.

It's times like these when I'm glad I bought a G4 tower, and not en iBook like I had originally planned.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    Hehe ok zappy, then the MX 200 isn't flashable

I just knew one of them wasn't

I'm pretty sure teh original radeon ist faster than the MX 200.

GeForce 2 = GeForce 2 GTS, that is correct.

The 3 Ti's not being Mac compatible is correct too

I could also go on taking about the ForMac ProFormance cards adn VillageTronic cards

Needless to say the TNT, TNT2 and TNT 2 Ultra preceeded the GeForce 256.

G-News
  • Reply 12 of 12
    It depends on whether the video card or the processor is the bottleneck.