Ads messing up forum again

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
This is starting up again unfortunately, in Firefox (doesn't happen in Safari) as soon as a page finishes rendering it then 'forwards' itself to a blank page that sits there endlessly loading. If you time it juuuuust right you can hit the stop button and be presented with the page, like a not very fun game. This doesn't happen every time, about 95% of the time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Ah, okay, so I'm not insane. When I hit Stop too late it stops on a blank page with wysiwyg:// in the URL (or something like that).

Screed
  • Reply 2 of 14
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just noticed this problem too. I had to turn off JavaScript to stop it from happening.

I didn't notice this problem on my other Mac just minutes ago (I'm using my laptop now), even though I'm using the same version of Mozilla on both. I probably haven't updated my /etc/hosts file on this Mac to screen out all of the same advertisers as my other Mac.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    email Kasper. he's the one who can fix it.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

email Kasper. he's the one who can fix it.

Is this a specific ad thats doing this? Sometimes our 3rd party Ad affiliates screw up when they enter items into the rotation, but this sounds different. Can someone give me a better description of what is happening so that I can get this fixed or yell at the responsible parties?

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Never any problems ... using Privoxy!

http://www.privoxy.org/
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Dangit it's happening again. It seemed to have been fixed that day or the next, but now it's happening to me again. As soon as the page loads, it goes forward to the empty page. Hit Back, page loads, then jumps forward to blank page again. If I go back and stop, then go forward again, I get just an ad banner immediately (Hydroderm at the moment).

Edit: It does seem to be certain ads only, it is happening with the Mem Turbo ad now.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    macratmacrat Posts: 35member
    It seems the ad with that talking head about an online degree is doing it now too. I'll actually see an ad for something else show up first, then the page blanks.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Macrat

It seems the ad with that talking head about an online degree is doing it now too. I'll actually see an ad for something else show up first, then the page blanks.

I've trashed this ad. It should no longer be active in the rotation starting an hour from now. Sorry about this. Please report future problems to this thread, as I've subscribed to it via e-mail.

Best,

Kasper
  • Reply 9 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    Way to just delete my post. No wonder I lost all respect for this place and its higher ups. A round of applause from me. Keep up the good work and be careful to not let people think for themselves.

I offered a simple solution to the problem that they were having with the overly intrusive ads displayed on these forums, there was no reason to delete my post. Furthermore, I fully expect this one to be deleted as well because this may cause a peasant uprising of sorts.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by DMBand0026

Way to just delete my post. No wonder I lost all respect for this place and its higher ups. A round of applause from me. Keep up the good work and be careful to not let people think for themselves.

I offered a simple solution to the problem that they were having with the overly intrusive ads displayed on these forums, there was no reason to delete my post. Furthermore, I fully expect this one to be deleted as well because this may cause a peasant uprising of sorts.

Your post was inappropriate. For 7 years we've asked nothing of our readers but to let the banners on our pages load. We don't ask for donations, we don't ask subscription fees, nada. Countless times I've asked users not to post ad-blocking solutions in this forum. If you are for blocking ads, you are for the downfall of AppleInsider and the majority of the Mac news sites on the web. In a way, I consider it stealing. Folks are free to do whatever they want, but I will not sit here and let you advertise for a means to remove the only form of support AppleInsider's editors receive for their efforts. So, in a way, I've lost respect for you as well.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    dmband0026dmband0026 Posts: 2,345member
    I pay for internet access just like everyone else does, it's not like I'm receiving a free service. Since I pay for this service, it is mine to do with as I please (within legal boundaries.) If I chose to block ads, it is my right to do so. How am I stealing if you offer this as a free service. Would it not be free without the ads?

I don't understand how you can call ad blocking stealing. It just doesn't add up for me. If the staff (Editors, administrators, moderators) of AI wants compensation for their efforts, they probably shouldn't be staff here. I was under the impression that it was assumed there would be no compensation for a staff position here. I'm not taking from anyones livelihood.

Also, just a quick FYI, I don't block ads, I was just offering a solution for those who would like to. It's not based on ethical or moral concerns, rather, I don't find them as annoying and intrusive as others do. And if one person would like to block the ads here, that one less penny in your pocket won't be the death of you.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

I pay for internet access just like everyone else does, it's not like I'm receiving a free service. Since I pay for this service, it is mine to do with as I please (within legal boundaries.) If I chose to block ads, it is my right to do so. How am I stealing if you offer this as a free service. Would it not be free without the ads?

I don't understand how you can call ad blocking stealing. It just doesn't add up for me. If the staff (Editors, administrators, moderators) of AI wants compensation for their efforts, they probably shouldn't be staff here. I was under the impression that it was assumed there would be no compensation for a staff position here. I'm not taking from anyones livelihood.

Also, just a quick FYI, I don't block ads, I was just offering a solution for those who would like to. It's not based on ethical or moral concerns, rather, I don't find them as annoying and intrusive as others do. And if one person would like to block the ads here, that one less penny in your pocket won't be the death of you.

It's like someone cutting all the advertisements out of eWEEK's print edition (which is also free), stapling it back together and then putting them on the street corner.

All the sites we read take hard work. MacNN, MacCentral, MacObserver, ThinkSecret, MacInTouch, AppleTurns, Slashdot. These places would not exist, or be as resourceful as they are, if everyone blocked their only source of revenue. I would say the average article on AppleInsider takes 2 hours to write, organize, format, and publish... on top of countless hours of research, emails, phone calls, etc. It's fun, but its time consuming. I hope you see my point. I should not have deleted your message, but rather edited out the links.

-K
  • Reply 13 of 14
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

A web site, cost money and can only survive if :

- some mighty donators give money, the owner included

- with ads

When you paid for internet acess, you pay for the network acess. It do not give you the right to enter freely in any web site. Some of them are not free and you have to pay for them.

AI has choose to be a free web site with advertising : you are free to block this ads, although this way of acting do not look like a big proof of support of AI. But promoting ads blocks of AI is a sort of call of Boycott of this site, and as we don't see the death of this site, we have the right to protect it. Now if you know some mighty donator, ready to give money wich will allow to compensate the disparition of ads you are welcome.

Kasper is ready to block the worst adds, and did it in the past even if he has a life outside AI (very recommanded indeed ). Problems occur, but the Suggestion forum is here to check them.

Last note : Kasper is the only person in charge of the front page, and is the only one to have some compensations.

Thanks for your understanding.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kasper

Countless times I've asked users not to post ad-blocking solutions in this forum.

not to be a stickler, but i don't recall that being said by anyone, anytime, including yourself until that post.