Tiger build for Paris Expo?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Wanted: Someone attending the Expo

Pluses: Someone who also attended WWDC

So... with the above qualifications, can any of the show goers tell us what build of Tiger they have installed? As a 'premiere' ADC person who is still sitting with the WWDC build I'd love to know.

Also if you were a WWDC attendant (or have since obtained the WWDC build) what are the major differences / improvements?

Enquiring minds would really like to know!

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    I had the same thought. Hopefully the feature set is still expanding, but I have to think if Phil had announced any new ones, we'd have heard it by now.

• Reply 2 of 38
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    the widgets were updated.

Its definitly a newer build.

dunno if I'll be passing by it again, but if I do, I'll be sure to check it out
  • Reply 3 of 38
    moogsmoogs Posts: 4,296member
    You mean new Dashboard widgets I presume? I wouldn't consider those "new features" strictly speaking, although, I'm sure for each new one they make it goes towards the "150" benchmark.

• Reply 4 of 38
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I wonder if the latest Longhorn news will cause Apple to change its schedule on some of the unannounced features?
  • Reply 5 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    The Expo build has an Automator that has a more refined GUI. And there's a small glimpse of the new Open/Save dialog with a Spotlight search field (this will be a very good feature for finding the file you want fast.)
  • Reply 6 of 38
    chrisgchrisg Posts: 239member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kim kap sol

The Expo build has an Automator that has a more refined GUI. And there's a small glimpse of the new Open/Save dialog with a Spotlight search field (this will be a very good feature for finding the file you want fast.)

I just saw that in the webcast, very cool.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisG

I just saw that in the webcast, very cool.

On my machine, with 2.5MBPS cable internet, that webcast is really unpalatably choppy. Like, the audio is choppy, and the image updates every 10 seconds. Anybody else getting it like this?
  • Reply 8 of 38
    I get the same thing on my 1.5Mbps connection. Also wondering what build version Tiger is at Paris.
  • Reply 9 of 38
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    (Based on the video only)

The same variations to the interface shown at WWDC (but not in the WWDC developers preview) are still seen in the Paris demo.

- Blue Apple menu "button" at left of menu bar and blue Spotlight "button" at the right.

- Seemingly no stripes in the menu bar (I assume it's also glossy although the video is too small for me to tell)

Bodes well for at least a glossy Aqua UI tweak if not a full redesign. They jsut didn't roll it into the developer's preview install.
  • Reply 10 of 38
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

(Based on the video only)

The same variations to the interface shown at WWDC (but not in the WWDC developers preview) are still seen in the Paris demo.

- Blue Apple menu "button" at left of menu bar and blue Spotlight "button" at the right.

- Seemingly no stripes in the menu bar (I assume it's also glossy although the video is too small for me to tell)

Bodes well for at least a glossy Aqua UI tweak if not a full redesign. They jsut didn't roll it into the developer's preview install.

I was hoping Schiller would accidently click on the Blue Apple menu button...there's got to be some goodies hidden in there...it would be the perfect place for fast-user-switching, IMO.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    Quote:

The lowest quality keynote stream ever. Maybe that's why I didn't see the Open/Save dialog. Any idea on the time it is shown in the stream?
  • Reply 12 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by murk

The lowest quality keynote stream ever. Maybe that's why I didn't see the Open/Save dialog. Any idea on the time it is shown in the stream?

When the Automator dude was saving an Automator script. Not sure about the time but it was definitely near the end of the stream...right before the iMac 3 intro.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    Quote:

When the Automator dude was saving an Automator script. Not sure about the time but it was definitely near the end of the stream...right before the iMac 3 intro.

Thanks for the help. It's there! The stream is actually working today, too.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I couldn't quite tell if the search field in the Open/Save in the Automator demo (which looks nicely refined, btw) was a specialized dialog for Automator, or a general-purpose Open/Save...

The new widgets were pretty cool. The language translator translating instantly as Schiller typed... neat.

Anything to report from those lucky folk playing w/ the Tiger demo at the Expo?
  • Reply 15 of 38
    I'm just back from the Expo... there are several G5s with Tiger installed on them, but unfortunately, it's impossible to have direct access to those machines : you have to ask the demonstrator what you want to see, and he'll show you. So no access to the build version, sorry guys (unless someone has managed to trick a demonstrator...).

Anyway, the version of Tiger installed on those machines has the new "blue-tipped" menu bar, an improved Automator, a faster Spotlight (unless the difference between a dual 2GHz G5 and a dual 2.5GHz G5 is really huge!), but apparently doesn't have the new widgets that appeared during Phil's keynote...

So : definitely a more advanced build than the WWDC developers' one, certainly a more advanced build as Steve's one at the WWDC, maybe the same or a little more advanced build than yesterday's Phil's build... Hope that will help you!
  • Reply 16 of 38
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    One thing that grabbed my attention during the keynote was the mention of an updated graphing calculator. Does anyone have any info?
  • Reply 17 of 38
    I just want to know if there's been any change to the brushed metal Finder. ..as in it possibly having an option to change it to Aqua without losing features. Sadly, I'm sure it's still the same as it was in the WWDC build.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Dave K.

One thing that grabbed my attention during the keynote was the mention of an updated graphing calculator. Does anyone have any info?

I'm interested in this too. I wonder if Apple bought Curvus Pro X

I believe it has been sold but I'm not sure if anyone knows to whom.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    I got a chance to get hands on with the Expo build.

The build number is in the high A200s, sorry I don't remember exactly (I'd say 224, but don't quote me).

New things I noticed:

Finder updates instantly when new files are created (touch foo in the Terminal for example)

When watching a fullscreen QT movie, if you move the mouse, controls appear to play, pause, rw, fw, volume and track position.

UI is getting some polish, but it's still very early in the game.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    Quote:

Originally posted by SYN

I got a chance to get hands on with the Expo build.

The build number is in the high A200s, sorry I don't remember exactly (I'd say 224, but don't quote me).

New things I noticed:

Finder updates instantly when new files are created (touch foo in the Terminal for example)

When watching a fullscreen QT movie, if you move the mouse, controls appear to play, pause, rw, fw, volume and track position.

UI is getting some polish, but it's still very early in the game.

Wow...the Finder updating instantly will make a few people tap dance. And I suppose moving the mouse brought a dashboard-esque UI...like Preview in Tiger while in fullscreen...or iPhoto. Nice to see Apple bringing more conformity to the GUI.

Did you get to see what the new Apple menu is hiding?