purchase question - going to mac, need help

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
hi,

i want to switch to mac but am not sure which one to buy. i dont play many games but would like things to flow smooth and i might possibly run a few apps, word processing, itunes, iphoto and safari. i have had a carp pc for years and want a fast mac but i dont think i need the dual processer powermac but then i think i might want better graphcis than the imac.

Is ther a possibly of a middle product coming out with the emac phasing out and the imac taking its place. is it worth wating for that if it comes, or go balls out for the powermac g5.i have around £2000 to spend adn need wirless stuff inlcuded eg mouse and internet.

also does anybody use appleworks what dopes it compare to office for winodws just as good or better

thanki you for your time, i know ther are loads of post like this but its people like you that keep mac going, thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    The iMac is a very capable computer. Don't listen to those who say that the graphic card is crap, the low-end tower comes with it as well.

I'd suggest you save your extra cash and max out the machine, the iMac G5 is going to be a hit and is probably your best option.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    iMac g5 all the way, get 512 megs of ram, even for the most basic of tasks, you will be greatfull.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    but the imac g5 would be old within a year but the powermac g5 would last much longer at least 2-3 years

? Dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5

? 512MB DDR400 SDRAM (PC3200) - 2x256MB

? 80GB Serial ATA

? DVD/CD-RW

? ATI Radeon 9800 XT 256MB, ADC/DVI

? AirPort Extreme Card

? Bluetooth module + Apple Wireless Keyboard & Mouse

? Mac OS X

? One FireWire 800 port

? Two FireWire 400 ports

? Three USB 2.0 ports

Price: £1,521.70

VAT: £266.30

Subtotal: £1,788.00

thats is my considerd spec can anybody offer any insites onto possible changes if theres something that needs adding or would be better sutied

alos i am looking for a monitor, lcd would be nice can anybody suggest one

thank you,
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Apple's displays are the best. I am not kidding. There are cheaper LCDs and frankly you get what you pay for.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by talksense101

Apple's displays are the best. I am not kidding. There are cheaper LCDs and frankly you get what you pay for.

they are much more expenisve though and i dont have taht sort of cash. i think i will be better off with a decent lcd and will hopefully not go over budjet