Press reactions to new iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
It is amazing how the industry has so many visionaries and experts who know what the market wants. After the iMac was released, a number of experts have come up with their judgement.

Here are some snippets:

http://news.com.com/Commentary:+Appl...3-5331861.html

Quote:

Commentary: Apple's missed opportunity

By Forrester Research

Special to CNET News.com

August 31, 2004, 1:00PM PT

By Paul Jackson, senior analyst

With its new iMac G5, Apple Computer has once again come up with a unique package of design, power and ease of use. But will it be enough?

No. Apple has missed the opportunity to stay way ahead of its PC manufacturing competitors by not including Wi-Fi as standard and by failing to catch the early-adopter personal video recorder wave by including a TV tuner card.

http://cbs.marketwatch.com/news/stor...le&dist=google

Quote:

Apple's new iMac takes rear seat

Commentary: New computer betrays aging vision

By John C. Dvorak

BERKELEY, Calif. (CBS.MW) -- On Tuesday, Philip Schiller walked onto a Paris stage at the Apple Expo 2004 to announce new products.

Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing was replacing the recuperating Steve Jobs. He mentioned that the founder and chief executive would be back in September, and that "September cannot come soon enough." If he checked a calendar he'd find that, in fact, September came the next day. The company seems to have lost track of time, and it showed with the G5 iMac.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Aug31.html

Quote:

Apple Unveils Its Latest iMac, Months After Planned Debut

By Mike Musgrove

Washington Post Staff Writer

Wednesday, September 1, 2004; Page E01

Apple Computer Inc. rolled out its latest iMac desktop computer at a convention for Mac users in Paris yesterday, a sleek model in which the processors and drives are packaged behind its 2-inch-thick monitor.

Philip W. Schiller, Apple's senior vice president for worldwide product marketing, touted the new iMac in his keynote speech at the Apple Expo as "the world's thinnest desktop computer."

Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, presents the iMac desktop computer during the keynote presentation at the annual Apple Expo in Paris. (Jack Dabaghian -- Reuters)

The iMac G5s are coming to the market months later than the company had planned; Apple told investors in July that the new line was delayed as a result of a shortage of G5 processors from IBM. What's more, Apple sold out of its previous line of iMacs that month -- meaning the company missed having an iMac on the market for the back-to-school buying season.

http://www.forbes.com/business/servi...ap1525784.html

Quote:

Apple Bets on IMac's Stripped-Down Chic

08.31.2004, 08:27 PM

Apple has taken its trademark minimalism a step further, launching launched the latest computer in the iMac family that helped restore the company's fortunes: a sleek flat-panel monitor with processor and drives built in.

"A lot of people are going to be asking, 'Where did the computer go?'" said Apple Senior Vice President Phil Schiller as he introduced the new iMac on Tuesday, the opening day of the Apple Expo in Paris.

Except for articles like the ones from Forbes and Washington post, every author has an opinion on the subject. My point is "if you are so f*&^*king intelligent, you would have made something on your own and earned a million dollars, but guess what a#@@*&, you are a nobody who pretends to be someone by pissing on another person's innovation. You are nothing but a ballon of hot air with shallow views on every topic and nothing more."

I had to get that off my chest.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Well, you still need an Airport base even if the computer shipped with a built in airport card unless of course one had a base already.

In notebooks, they should be standard equipment though.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    "Schiller spent a lot of time bragging about Apple's 59 percent market share in the MP3 player market. Is this something to be proud of?"

Their stock seems to be doing well ...ya doof !!!

at CBS

Reason # 34,938 not to watch CBS
  • Reply 3 of 3
    ~ufo~~ufo~ Posts: 245member
    Well I think the new iMac is great.

It's a powerful desktop w/ a great design.

I munch prefer this design to the G4 one.

They've hit the spot going w/ an iPod like design.

turn it into the icon that the iPod is and that the crt iMac was!

Me likes!

I ordered one too, you know why? I think the pricing is right!

Sure they couls have added a tv-tuner, but who would use it?

Apple want the iMac to be basic yet complete.

well it is.

for those who want a tv tunes, I'm sure you can get some firewire thingy for that.

my 2c