iMac G5 memory configuration question

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
From what I can gather from looking at the BTO options for the new iMacs, the new iMacs have two slots for RAM. Unlike the G5 Power Macs, however, it doesn't appear that you have to install memory in pairs. For example, there are two different options for getting 1 GB of memory: 2 x 512 MB, or 1 x 1 GB.

All of the options that I see, however, imply that when you have both slots filled, both sticks of RAM are the same size: 2 x 256 MB, 2 x 512 MB, or 2 x 1 GB.

What I'd like to do is order the low-end $1299 model, as-is with 256 MB of RAM, then buy one 512 MB stick, and hopefully end up with 768 MB of total RAM.

Anyone know if this would work out?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    That would work out just fine, The reason they give you the option of 1x1GB is for future expansion. If you had both slots taken up with 2x512 and then you wanted to expand, you would have to get rid of one of the 512 and buy a 1GB stick to upgrade (obviously a pain in the butt). So yes you going with the low end and then adding a 512 to make 768MB RAM will work. And to comment on the matching RAM sizes, I simply think Apple does that for simplicity. Who wants to have a BTO with 768MB of RAM? There are too many options and Apple is just providing the most convient options.I hate how my PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0Ghz Rev. B has to have RAM installed in Pairs but then again I'm a cheap person.... (taking collects for the "G5 needs more then 512MB RAM")
  • Reply 2 of 41
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    I think that the Imac mobo is a single channel DDRam. The dual was only able to work in pair (unlike some mobos of the X86 world), so the Imac chipset must be a new lighter version of the one of the powermac (less cost and less heat).

With the single channel memory canal, the 1/3 bus ratio is more than enough to feed the mobo. This lower bus speed, is also an improvement in watt consumption and heat issue. As a result the whole Imac has just a consumption of 180 watts, compared to the 500 and more of the dualies.

The Imac are really an hybrid of a desktop and a laptop computer.

The good new with the Imac G5 is that it's standart DDR 400, with easy access to both slots. I have ordered two 512 MB DIMM, but the day (hypothetic) i will want to upgrade, I can use this DIMM in my dual.
  • Reply 3 of 41
    If it were dual channel only as the powermacs that would require you to always have two slots filled simply to boot and also require you to completely replace your entire memory every time you wanted to upgrade it. not an ideal situation, convenience-wise... and i dont think they have room for another two slots in that case yet
  • Reply 4 of 41
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Extract from Kingston web site iMac G5 page :

"Modules may be installed one at a time for 64-bit memory bus. To support 128-bit memory bus, modules must be installed in like pairs."

So what does this mean?

You don't have to install in pairs....but it's better if you do?
  • Reply 5 of 41
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

"Modules may be installed one at a time for 64-bit memory bus. To support 128-bit memory bus, modules must be installed in like pairs."

So what does this mean?

I also wonder if it means that the base 256 MB would be more likely to be 2x128 instead of 1x256. By adding one 512 MB as I'm thinking of doing, might I only be going up to 640 instead of 768, because I'll have to pull out one 128 MB stick?

Edit: Following the above link, a single 256 MB stick is shown as the default memory configuration -- so no worries about 128 MB sticks.
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by piot

So what does this mean?

Interesting, if it's true it's a new feature, and an improvement compared to the powermac G5. It will means that my G5 with two 512 MB module will have dual channel memory access. If it's true, it will means that the level of performance of the Imac G5 will be very near than the single 1,8 Ghz G5 (even better if the HD is faster).
  • Reply 7 of 41
    kcmackcmac Posts: 1,051member
    So...it sounds like it may be better to get 2 sticks of 512.

The other good thing about this is that it is also $50 cheaper than buying 1 stick of 1 gig.
  • Reply 8 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by kcmac

So...it sounds like it may be better to get 2 sticks of 512.

The other good thing about this is that it is also $50 cheaper than buying 1 stick of 1 gig.

It's cheaper, but we just don't know yet if it is going to be faster.

Kingston DOES say that when installed as specially matched pairs, the new iMac G5 will enable dual channel memory access. But this is the first any company has mentioned this possibility. Not even Apple's website addresses this:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86814

I think we need to wait for clarification from others more in the know, or until people get these in their hands and are able to perform real world tests.

BTW, Apple has requested that www.macbidouille.fr remove their supposed first-ever XBench scores from their website. .. Don't know what this means. Memory performance on their 1GB (total for the machine) was excellent, - don't know if it had to do with the above. On the flip side, SATA performance was poor. But again, for whatever reason, the scores have been pulled.
  • Reply 9 of 41
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BK0001

BTW, Apple has requested that www.macbidouille.fr remove their supposed first-ever XBench scores from their website. .. Don't know what this means. Memory performance on their 1GB (total for the machine) was excellent, - don't know if it had to do with the above. On the flip side, SATA performance was poor. But again, for whatever reason, the scores have been pulled.

Hmm, quite interesting for a product about to ship. Don't Apple want free advertisement? Or was it bad advertisement?
  • Reply 10 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by PB

Hmm, quite interesting for a product about to ship. Don't Apple want free advertisement? Or was it bad advertisement?

The Xbench test was supposedly performed on one of the iMac G5 machines at Paris Expo, so who knows if there may be some connection there.
  • Reply 11 of 41
    Lionel, The head admin of MacBidouille, replied to me, that Apple asked them to remove this test, because they where performed on non optimised beta products.

I believe it's true, there is no explanations of the bad performance results of the HD of the Imac G5. I think that Apple use the same disk in both the towers and the Imac.
  • Reply 12 of 41
    In looking at memory for this iMac, I notice that stores sell generic 1 gig sticks and what they call fast memory sticks.

If it is all the 184 pin DDR 400 (3200) isn't it the same speed?
  • Reply 13 of 41
    From the developper note :

"If only one DIMM is installed, the memory bus is 64-bit. If two non-identical DIMMs are installed, there are two 64?bit memory buses. If two identical DIMMs are installed, the memory bus is 128-bit. Identical DIMM pairs have the same size and composition and provide the fastest and most efficient throughput."
  • Reply 14 of 41
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Just noticed that myself. Unrelated, but also in the developer note... the no optical drive config for higher education institutions comes with a 5400 rpm ata/100 HD. They couldn't even dump a 7200 rpm drive in there.

Not sure what Apple's computers typically come with, but the new iMac has a 180W power supply.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    Thanks Powerdoc. Guess it will be (2) 512's for me.
  • Reply 16 of 41
    So identical DIMM means any two PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM DIMMs of equal size (512+512, etc.), regardless of the vendor?
  • Reply 17 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by Silas

So identical DIMM means any two PC3200 (400MHz) DDR SDRAM DIMMs of equal size (512+512, etc.), regardless of the vendor?

Right.

KCmac : good choice. It's also my choice, and it was also the case for the Imac G5 presented at Apple Expo Paris.
  • Reply 18 of 41
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Interesting, now upgraders will have a dilema...

For their computing tasks, will more memory or less but matched memory be quicker. For instance, what if you have a single 512 stick? Would an additional 512 or a 1gig be the better upgrade? 1.5 gigs with a 64bit buss or 1 gig with a 128bit buss.

Imagine trying to explain that one to a clueless friend asking for advice...
  • Reply 19 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by dfiler

Interesting, now upgraders will have a dilema...

For their computing tasks, will more memory or less but matched memory be quicker. For instance, what if you have a single 512 stick? Would an additional 512 or a 1gig be the better upgrade? 1.5 gigs with a 64bit buss or 1 gig with a 128bit buss.

Imagine trying to explain that one to a clueless friend asking for advice...

No doubt.

Any idea what kind of performance boost we are talking?

I bought from Apple Store and decided that upgrading to 512KB was worth it, but upgrading to 1GB (1 DIMM) was not. THEN, I ordered a 1GB stick from www.transintl.com . Now I'm scratching my head. I'm certainly not going to change my Apple Store order (which I think would reset my ship date to something much later than 9/29).

I guess I will wait, use 1.5GB configuration initially, and lurk on these boards for somemeone to analyze the true difference...
  • Reply 20 of 41
    Quote:

Originally posted by BK0001

No doubt.

Any idea what kind of performance boost we are talking?

I bought from Apple Store and decided that upgrading to 512KB was worth it, but upgrading to 1GB (1 DIMM) was not. THEN, I ordered a 1GB stick from www.transintl.com . Now I'm scratching my head. I'm certainly not going to change my Apple Store order (which I think would reset my ship date to something much later than 9/29).

I guess I will wait, use 1.5GB configuration initially, and lurk on these boards for somemeone to analyze the true difference...

I can easily predict what will be your next move. You will replace the 512 MB DIMM by a 1 GB DIMM for a total of 2 GB.

In the PC world there is a huge difference between single and double channel memory bus : except a 5-10 % speed bump.

For the amount of memory : going from 256 to 512 make a huge difference (much more important than dual channel thing). Going from 512 to 1GB make a difference, but less important. Moving from 1 GB to 1,5 or 2 GB do not do a lot of diffence excepting in some situations, like runnng tons of applications simultaneously (but in this case a dual G5 is more appropriate) of manipulating huges photoshop files (of more than 150 MB). Same apply for 3 D rendering of big files (but I doubt that the Imac G5 is the perfect mac for this job).

All thing consider I think 2 512 MB DIMM will be a perfect balanced choice, the choice that Apple did for the iMac G5 presented at the Apple Expo Paris.