PB G4 update oct/nov

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Please, can anyone tell me for sure if there is going to be a PowerBook update between october and november? I really want to buy one, but I'm willing to wait 2 more months so I can buy an updated one...but I'm not sure if there will be an update at all... \

thanks

peace

Comments

• Reply 1 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by wanea

Please, can anyone tell me for sure if there is going to be a PowerBook update between october and november?

Steve Jobs, but he doesnt post here much anymore
  • Reply 2 of 65
    Buy when you need and be happy. You may have to wait until MWSF for new PowerBooks and then shiping product may take another 1 to 2 months.
  • Reply 3 of 65
    My guess will be November. I don't have any inside knowledge but Apple can't afford to not have a updated model before Christmas. PB sales are too important to them.

Judging from recent rumors and comments from Apple, you won't see a PB G5 until next year. Since Apple probably won't develop a new motherboard or case for an updated G4, expect basically the same specs with a microscopically faster CPU and maybe a faster GPU. But that's all.

If you are desperate for a PB now, you should get it. If you could wait, might as well wait for the PB G5.
  • Reply 4 of 65
    Buy one now.

There's no hope of a PB G5 any time soon - nor a Frescale 2GHz G4, nor a dual core PB.

I bought a 1.3GHz 17" in November last year. It's plenty fast enough for me - even running virtual pc with Rational Rose is usable and everything else is fine.

The only time it chokes on is rendering video in FCP. It works fine for general editing, but not for rendering of complex effects and transitions, and on DVDSP - but that's slow on anything but a dual 2.0 G5 - which is why I just bought one
  • Reply 5 of 65
    I'm guessing December or MWSF. G4 Updates, just regular speedbumps, that's all.
  • Reply 6 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by kiwi-in-dc

Buy one now.

There's no hope of a PB G5 any time soon - nor a Frescale 2GHz G4, nor a dual core PB.

Where did you get this from? Everything I've read seems to inidcate the 7448 will be out before the end of the year and 2GHZ has been suggested by FreeScale. 2GHZ with 1MB of L2 would be a nice chip in a laptop.

The dual-cores, it seems, should come next year with the 64bit FreeScale chip following either late in the year or early in the next year.
  • Reply 7 of 65
    cubistcubist Posts: 954member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mr. MacPhisto

Where did you get this from? Everything I've read seems to inidcate the 7448 will be out before the end of the year and 2GHZ has been suggested by FreeScale. ...

And from the time the chip comes out, to the time that powerbooks are actually available from the Apple Store... four to six months, or possibly longer.
  • Reply 8 of 65
    Quote:

... 2GHZ has been suggested by FreeScale. 2GHZ with 1MB of L2 would be a nice chip in a laptop.

Link, please
  • Reply 9 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fat Freddy

Link, please

http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/m...#20040617_7448

Little available information, but it's possible that the chips are already shipping and machines may be available by year-end. Mr. MacPhisto is right, a 2GHz G4 would be a pretty powerful computer.
  • Reply 10 of 65
    Quote:

Originally posted by cubist

http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/m...#20040617_7448

Little available information, but it's possible that the chips are already shipping and machines may be available by year-end. Mr. MacPhisto is right, a 2GHz G4 would be a pretty powerful computer.

I know, also here: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...MP286165424903

But i can't read nothing about 2GHz nor 1MB L2C
  • Reply 11 of 65
    I doubt, well hope since I just bought a new 1.5GHz Powerbook, that Apple won't release a new Powerbook anytime soon.

A G5 won't happen this year for sure and I'm predicting next year either because Apple had to slow the frontside bus down on the new iMac (even with that slowdown, they still look gorgeous!) nearly 50% just to make them operate in an area that would be an inch to big for a laptop.

Even though I have my doubts I still have hope that Apple and IBM can come up with some sort of way to decrease the heat enough without slowing the frontside bus too much.
  • Reply 12 of 65
    Quote:

Where did you get this from? Everything I've read seems to inidcate the 7448 will be out before the end of the year and 2GHZ has been suggested by FreeScale. 2GHZ with 1MB of L2 would be a nice chip in a laptop.

From where I sit, here's what I see: The cycle time from chips initially sampling to full production is 2-6 months. From full production to shipping Apple product, from 2-6 months depending on how the chips are yielding.

So, if Freescale announces a 2GHz G4 today, it will be at best four months before it appears in a shipping product. More likely 6 or longer given that the 7448 is a 90nm chip - I fully expect Freescale to have exactly the same issues Intel and IBM had with 90nm - maybe worse given past performance with G4s.

Basically my advice is that a PB now is better than a slightly faster PB later. if you need it you need.
  • Reply 13 of 65
    My guess:

November: G4 MPC7448 at 1.8GHz max

March 2004: G5 1.8GHz max
  • Reply 14 of 65
    Quote:

My guess:

I seriously doubt we'll ever see a G5 in a PowerBook. IBMers I know say it just doesn't make sense and doesn't work with Apple's slim designs. They will have other chips ready mid-to-late next year that would be more viable, but a G5 woul dbe crippled in a PowerBook.

I would argue that there would be no significant improvement in performance from a 1.8GHZ G4 to a 1.8 GHZ G5 - in fact, there may be performance loss. The G5 is not going to be running with even a 600MHZ bus in a PowerBook. Bandwidth is the key to the G5's success. The G4 is better with working with slower bus speeds.

Plus we have FreeScale announcing System-on-Chip G4s that may be available at the same time. A G4 with an on-die memory controller and several other features would be a much better chip in a laptop.

The only thing I know about FreeScale is that IBM is certain they will be very strong in the next year. They still need to deliver, but I still believe we will see a 2GHZ PowerBook by MWSF, likely sooner. A bump to 1.8 GHZ wouldn't be bad considering previous bumps, but I think the 7448 will surprise.
  • Reply 15 of 65
    Quote:

I would argue that there would be no significant improvement in performance from a 1.8GHZ G4 to a 1.8 GHZ G5 - in fact, there may be performance loss.

Go at Ars and read, it's a no brainer

The G5 has a much more advanced FPU and two of them. Over 200 instructions in flight and so on...

You know Hobold from ArsTechnica-Forum?: http://www.macguardians.de/fullstory...ereich=1#24305

Quote:

... They still need to deliver, but I still believe we will see a 2GHZ PowerBook by MWSF, likely sooner.

Yeah, they still need to deliver (2GHz... i don't think so )

Quote:

A bump to 1.8 GHZ wouldn't be bad considering previous bumps, but I think the 7448 will surprise.

If so, it will surprise, yes!
  • Reply 16 of 65
    Well, I'm starting to think that if I buy a PowerBook G4 1.5 15" right now the loss won't be much...even with an upgrade on the PB line by november(then they will only be shipping after a few months), the wait isn't worth it since I need the laptop at least in the next 2/3 months...
  • Reply 17 of 65
    Quote:

My guess:

I take it you mean March 2005, but anyway, those updates are too close together. If we get a year-end 7448 model, there won't be another model for a good six to eight months.
  • Reply 18 of 65
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

I take it you mean March 2005, but anyway, those updates are too close together. If we get a year-end 7448 model, there won't be another model for a good six to eight months.

great, PB G5 with WWDC2005.

can't wait
  • Reply 19 of 65
    Quote:

I would argue that there would be no significant improvement in performance from a 1.8GHZ G4 to a 1.8 GHZ G5

Quote:

i doubt that the G4 can even get to 1.8 Ghz, at least in a powerbook. since most chips have gotten down to 90 nm, chipmakers can't get them much smaller with the current architecture. they either need to revamp the way the G4 is built, or do something drastic to improve it and keep heat down and performance up.
  • Reply 20 of 65
    Quote:

I take it you mean March 2005...

Yes of course

Quote:

If we get a year-end 7448 model, there won't be another model for a good six to eight months.

You'll see

Powerbook G5 in Q1/2005