External Monitor and PowerBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
When using a TV or LCD display as an external monitor with a PowerBook, is there any way to close the PowerBook and still see the display on the external monitor?

I'm playing video on the PowerBook and watching it on my TV, but the video playing on the PowerBook is distracting. I tried closing the PowerBook, but of course it went to sleep, shutting off the external display too.

Is there a way of closing the PowerBook and not going to sleep, while keeping the external display going?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    you have to go to your display settings and move the menu bar from the powerbook screen to the monitor screen.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Maffrew

Is there a way of closing the PowerBook and not going to sleep, while keeping the external display going?

Yes. Wake up your closed sleeping PowerBook from an external USB device, e.g. a keyboard or mouse. It will automatically recognize the external display as its main display. This is called "clamshell" mode, because the PB is closed like a clamshell. Hope this is helpful for your purposes.

Escher
  • Reply 3 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    The easiest thing to do is to keep the Powerbook open and reduce the screen brightness. The lowest setting equals screen completely off. I did this when I watched a movie on a friend's TV, and did not have any USB input device available to trigger clamshell mode. Also has the upside of leaving the PB's speakers unblocked if you need them.

I've heard concerns that clamshell mode would be harmful to laptops in the long term; probably not true but nevertheless becomes a non-issue using this technique.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by Escher

Yes. Wake up your closed sleeping PowerBook from an external USB device, e.g. a keyboard or mouse. It will automatically recognize the external display as its main display. This is called "clamshell" mode, because the PB is closed like a clamshell. Hope this is helpful for your purposes.

Escher

Will only work if external power supply is hooked up!
  • Reply 5 of 6
    giaguaragiaguara Posts: 2,724member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

Hard to please, eh? If there is no external power supply, switch off the powerbook and watch the DVD in the DVD player ...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    gongon Posts: 2,437member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BNOYHTUAWB

One more upside for shutting the screen off by adjusting brightness. It doesn't care if it's plugged in. My PB showed Shrek 2 as divx from HD, screen off, using its own speakers. 98% battery before movie, 41% left after.