Can't get an Win-XP PC on my Airport Express network

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I can't get an Win-XP PC on my Airport Express network, currently used my me 2 Macs. The PC doesn't accept the password (or network key). So, I have 2 questions

1) How do I change the network password for my Airport network?

2) If I decide to start from scratch, how do I permanently delete my existing Airport network?

Thanks in advance

kelib

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    From one of your macs, go to Applications>Utilities>Airport Admin Utility. From there you should be able to change your password. If you want to reset the whole thing, use the Airport Setup Assistant in the Utilities Folder.

As for the password not working on the Windows Computer, I remember something about that you need to use a special password or something. Hopefully someone here will know, but you may want to check your manual in the meantime.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Are you using WEP or WPA? If you are using WEP, go to AirPort Admin and open your basestations configuration. At the top of the window is a padlock icon labeled "equivilent password" this gives the hexidecimal representation of the password you originally input. This (very long) string is what you need to enter into the Windows networking prefs for it to work. If you are using WPA, then the password should be the same as you entered it. Make sure you have the Win computers wireless MAC in your access control list as well. You can get this info by opening up the Windows command prompt and typing "getmac". This will give you two MAC addresses (ethernet and wireless), with the second one being the wireless MAC.

Hope that helps...
  • Reply 3 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    It helped, thanks But during all this I created one 'problem' on my iMac only. It doesn't logon to the Express network automatically! I have to select the network every time after turning on the puter or waking it from sleep. I'm sure it's a matter of simple trick but haven't managed to find it
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

It helped, thanks But during all this I created one 'problem' on my iMac only. It doesn't logon to the Express network automatically! I have to select the network every time after turning on the puter or waking it from sleep. I'm sure it's a matter of simple trick but haven't managed to find it

Go into System Preferences->Network

Select the location you are using at home, and go to the settings for AirPort

Click on the AirPort tab and change the drop down list from "By default, join : Automatic" to "By default, join : A specific network"

Enter the name of your wireless network and the password (note: this is the actual password you entered in the AirPort Admin Utility, not the huge key you had to enter into the Win XP computer's own settings; the Mac will be smart enough to translate the password into the hex key for you)
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kelibkelib Posts: 740member
    Thanks VanDeWaals, Problem solved
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by kelib

Thanks VanDeWaals, Problem solved