Odd Memory Problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an unusual problem. My iMacG3 DV400 has been acting slower than usual lately, been getting a lor of spinning beach balls and such. Also, my hard drive starts to spin as if its doing something even if I am just sitting there looking at a web page and nothing should be happening.

Anyway, I decided to check the system profiler to make sure everything is OK and when i checked Memory, one of my PC100 chips is all of a sudden showing up as a PC133. I know for sure it isnt and it has always shown up as PC100. This is what the profiler says:

DIMM0/J13:

Sizet256 MB

TypetSDRAM

SpeedtPC133-333

I find this very unusual. Its as if my computer is no longer recognizing the RAM properly. My other 64Mb PC100 that came with the computer still is recognized as PC100.

Any ideas?

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    Do a search on google for the memory part num of the ram chip and check its not PC133.

It could also be faulty memory but normally faulty memory does work of the machine crashes.

Dobby.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dobby

Do a search on google for the memory part num of the ram chip and check its not PC133.

It could also be faulty memory but normally faulty memory does work of the machine crashes.

Dobby.

I still have the packaging and checked PNYs website before I bought it and just now. I installed it myself and it said PC100 on the chip, and up till now my computer recognized it as PC100. All of a sudden its saying its PC133 and I know for sure its not. Odd, huh?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Boot the diagnostics disk you received with the imac and run a memory test. This should show if the memory is dodgy.

Unfortunately there is a huge lack of memory diagnostic tools for OS X (Mac).

Dobby.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Boot the diagnostics disk you received with the imac and run a memory test. This should show if the memory is dodgy.

Unfortunately there is a huge lack of memory diagnostic tools for OS X (Mac).

Dobby.

I dont recall getting a diagnostics disc with the iMac.

Guess Ill have to assume there is something wrong with the RAM
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Apple (normally) provides a Hardware test CD for its PowerMacs, I don't know if its the same for ibooks and imacs?

Dobby.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Apple (normally) provides a Hardware test CD for its PowerMacs, I don't know if its the same for ibooks and imacs?

Dobby.

Ill root around some more for it, thanks
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I have an unusual problem. My iMacG3 DV400 has been acting slower than usual lately, been getting a lor of spinning beach balls and such. ...

Since i have a similar machine (iMac G3 350) i've got a hunch.

Perhaps a moot question, but how much HD space is left?

I just use the original HD (7gig!!!) Though, MacOS X and all other apps need space to operate smoothly. Say, if you have a 10gig HD make sure you always have at least 1-2 gig left. Once i just had 500mb left. The result: endless spinning HD, almost unresponsive GUI, etc pp.

What about cache cleaning? To many cached files put the machine to a halt.

Btw, i don't think your prob is memory related. Spoiled memory almost always produces ... hefty crashes.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Vox Barbara

Since i have a similar machine (iMac G3 350) i've got a hunch.

Perhaps a moot question, but how much HD space is left?

I just use the original HD (7gig!!!) Though, MacOS X and all other apps need space to operate smoothly. Say, if you have a 10gig HD make sure you always have at least 1-2 gig left. Once i just had 500mb left. The result: endless spinning HD, almost unresponsive GUI, etc pp.

What about cache cleaning? To many cached files put the machine to a halt.

Btw, i don't think your prob is memory related. Spoiled memory almost always produces ... hefty crashes.

I have the 10Gb hard drive but only half is used.

I have cleaned the cache, including the system cache also using YASU

The machine is recognizing the memory since it still says I have 320Mb but its just wierd that all of a sudden it thinks its PC133. I was thinking of seeing if i can return it and buy another brand over the internet. Any suggestions? Ramjet.com has PC100 512Mb for $130, I was thinking of increasing the RAM if I have to replace the PNY 256.