Xserve RAID configuration

4fx4fx
Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an Xserve RAID at work that I am currently using for video production. Its configured as a level 5 raid and has 4 drives for a yield of about 750 GB.

In the near future we have several concerns we need to address...

1. If we add more drives, can the Xserve incorporate the new drives into the array without loss of the current data (we need to keep it as a single array)?

2. If we add more than 3 more drives and start using the other raid controller, can we keep is as a single array (using software raid) and still keep the data protection that level 5 offers? Apple's site mentions that you have to stripe the two arrays together using a software raid configuration, but I wasnt sure if that still offered the same data protection that a standard level 5 configuration offered.

3. We will also be adding a second workstation (and person) to our setup. If we get a fibre switch and go to a Switched fabric setup, can both computers access the same section of the array at the same time? Or is each computer limited to it's own issolated section of the array?

4. Assuming that two computers can access the same section of the array at the same time, does software raid interfere with the ability to stripe the two arrays together? It was my understanding that the host computer controlled the software raid configuration, but I could be wrong.

Basically, what we would like is all 14 drives to act as one raid array that can be accessed by two computers at the same time, so that two people can do video editing at the same time.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated