Couldn't apple release a paper thin Cinima Display?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Take the new iMac, Gut it, just leave the monitor portion, and wouldn't the result be an untra thin cinima display?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by guest

Take the new iMac, Gut it, just leave the monitor portion, and wouldn't the result be an untra thin cinima display?

Not with todays technology. LCDs require backlighting which adds to the thickness. The only way we see truly "paper thin" displays is if OLED(Organic Light Emitting Diode) ever becomes affordable at larger sizes. The fact that Apple wedged in a computer behind the monitor and still kept it under 2" thick amazes me.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    cosmocosmo Posts: 662member
    Well laptops use slim backlights. Maybe apple could use similar parts to make extra thin displays. I'm not sure what thsi would do the the brightness and quality of the displays. What is wrong with the current thickness of apple's displays?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Brigthness would likely suffer using thin display as on the powerbooks. I think most people expect more from their desktop displays than from their portable computers. I can imagine Aplle coming out wiht a thin display only to get hammered on how dim it was.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    yevgenyyevgeny Posts: 1,148member
    No Apple could not ever make a thin Cinima display, no matter how hard they tried. Maybe they could make a thin Cinema display, but it would add cost, possibly distort the picture clarity and be for no good reason.

sp?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    OLEDs baby! i cant wait. they just have a couple kinks to work out and then we will see amazingly bright screens with vivid colors that use very little battery. and durable as hell! i cant wait
  • Reply 6 of 9

Perhaps they made the Cinema Displays thicker than needed in order to make the iMac look more remarkable?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    another problem with paper-thin displays is their resistance to abuse. more people have desktops in their homes than laptops generally. this means, usually, more exposure to kids or ignorant people, which could cause problems with the screen durability. laptops can pull it off because people are generally more careful with them.

and with the current displays, the thickness allows for touch-sensitive brightness and contrast controls on the side, vs on the back where they are less accessible. they also have the power button on the side.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    OLED are supposedly extremely durable.

but i played around with the new cinema displays. they are amazing. huge yet so light. they float on that base really. very easy to move around.

i wish i had one\
  • Reply 9 of 9
    chagichagi Posts: 284member
    Quote:

Originally posted by earthtoandy

OLED are supposedly extremely durable.

but i played around with the new cinema displays. they are amazing. huge yet so light. they float on that base really. very easy to move around.

i wish i had one\

I agree completely, saw the Apple 20" Cinema display for the first time about a week ago, and it's very, very nice indeed. I was quite impressed at how easy it is to tilt it up/down, and moving side to side is pretty easy as well with the manner that the base was designed.

Bit on the pricey side though, I really think that Apple needs to introduce a new 17" Widescreen Cinema display at a $1000 CND or so pricepoint in order to flesh out the line a bit more.