G5 hangs while playing DVD movies everytime

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm not sure what to do as I am still relatively new to Mac's. Any DVD that I try and play hangs at some point and I have to hold down the power button to restart the machine.

It also hangs sometimes when I try and play Unreal, but other then that there doesn't seem to be much a problem.

Any ideas on what to try?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    What is your audio setup? There might be a problem with having both the optical input and output connected at the same time. If that is the case try disconnecting the optical input and see what happens. Good luck.

Marc
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks but I'm not using optical audio yet. This started after, but not right after, I installed my airport extreme card.

I know it played DVD's fine for a while after I installed it but now they just hang, and the same movies don't freeze up in the same place either.

Could it be something with power saving or something that could kick on after an hour of watching a movie or something?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    I don't know. Is there something in the console log when you try to play a DVD? Also, you could give VLC a try, as an alternative DVD player. Have you repaired permissions lately? That's always a good thing to do regularly.

Marc