computer sluggish all of the sudden

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
my 17" 1Ghz iMac has become very sluggish over time. It used to import cds at about 16-18x, now its more like 4-6x. also finder sometimes takes a long time to load after login. and when I ctrl+click on files to get info I get that spinning rainbow and it takes about 5 seconds to show the menu. i have no idea what is wrong.

I have already repaired permissions, and run fsdk with now improvement. any ideas?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Do you usually leave the iMac on (and logged in) overnight? One part of OS X's UNIX underpinnings is a utility called cron that runs late at night (at 3:15 in the morning or thereabouts). When it runs, it performs various maintenance tasks (rotates log files and such). There are tasks that it performs daily, weekly, or monthly.

I usually just leave my PowerBook plugged in and my account logged in at night (I have the display set to sleep, but not the computer itself). If you don't want to do that, you can get a utility called MacJanitor that will run the cron tasks for you whenever you choose.

Or, if you feel comfortable with the command line, you can open Terminal (in the /Applications/Utilities/ folder) and type "sudo periodic daily/weekly/monthly" (just type one of the selections, not all three ) and then enter your administrator password when prompted.

Alternatively, you can delete the caches in your ~/Library or /Library folders, but this usually is not the problem.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    i don't usually leave it logged in. i'll try that. thanks
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Leaving it on should be enough. I doubt being logged in or not affects cron jobs.

Do the cache deletion. It may help.

How full is your HD?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    80GB drive with 30 left