Safari a memory hog?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I just checked activity monitor and it read this way for safari:

real memory-59Mb

Virtual memory-200mb

why is virtual memory so high> Safari also uses twice as much memory as AOL.

Also, I notice the hard drive making noises as if some activity is going on, even if Im not doing anything. Its kind of annoying. What would cause this commotion?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 2 of 8
    steve666steve666 Posts: 2,600member
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

Because it can be. Having that 200MB figure identified means if it ever does go over it's available real memory there is less overhead (meaning faster access to) grabbing some of that VM action. It's like a big limit on your credit card, you don't always use it, but if you need it the resources are there NOW, not two weeks from now. In the big picture this is "A Good Thing".

The hard drive action is probably Safari caching and potentially accessing the page elements. Especially if there is a ridiculous animated ad banner somewhere on the page.

No banner, nothing. Sometimes it happens when Im not even at a web page. I wonder if maybe its the built in firewall blocking some activity (I have a cable modem)
  • Reply 3 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by AirSluf

There are lot's of bits and pieces to the OS and associated services which can cause access to the drive. It all depends on what you are doing at any particular moment and what your OS has decided to do as well. It doesn't have to be network related at all. I know that's kind of an unsatisfying answer, but it's pretty much the way it is with the complexity of today.

I wish I could figure out what was doing it because its annoying. It almost stops me from doing what i want when the hard drive is spinning away like that.

I also noticed that safari has been crashing a lot since the last security update. Almost once per day and it never did that before
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Do you have caching enabled? If you're on broadband, turning off caching can free up a lot of RAM.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Do you have caching enabled? If you're on broadband, turning off caching can free up a lot of RAM.

I just checked preferences and I see no way to turn caching off.

Just today I had to force quit safari twice already. Its been acting up for a week now and Im about to switch to another browser. This sucks.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by steve666

I just checked preferences and I see no way to turn caching off.

Just today I had to force quit safari twice already. Its been acting up for a week now and Im about to switch to another browser. This sucks.

Maybe you should try deleting the plist file?

Do a search for Safari Enhancer on versiontracker.com. It lets you turn off the cache; it also lets you delete the site icon cache, which can slow Safari down.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by k squared

Maybe you should try deleting the plist file?

Do a search for Safari Enhancer on versiontracker.com. It lets you turn off the cache; it also lets you delete the site icon cache, which can slow Safari down.

OK, Ill check it out, thanks. I also just redownloaded pithhelmet, which turns off those annoying ads and gifs.