Toyota Tacoma Question

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi all.

About a month ago, I bought a 98 Toyota Tacoma 4WD truck. As I'm getting geared up for the winter, I'm a little confused about one part of the 4WD on this thing.

The truck is rear-wheel drive, as I expected, but there is an option for high-2, which seems to be front-wheel drive.

Am I right about this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by midwinter

Hi all.

About a month ago, I bought a 98 Toyota Tacoma 4WD truck. As I'm getting geared up for the winter, I'm a little confused about one part of the 4WD on this thing.

The truck is rear-wheel drive, as I expected, but there is an option for high-2, which seems to be front-wheel drive.

Am I right about this?

2-High: Rear wheel drive (what it should be in normally)

4-High: 4 wheel drive (only to be used on known slippery surfaces)

4-Low: 4 wheel drive with a lower gear set (for maximum control, like when you're on a slippery boat ramp or the like)

Your truck will never be exclusively in front wheel drive.

turboSPE
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by turbospe

2-High: Rear wheel drive (what it should be in normally)

4-High: 4 wheel drive (only to be used on known slippery surfaces)

4-Low: 4 wheel drive with a lower gear set (for maximum control, like when you're on a slippery boat ramp or the like)

Your truck will never be exclusively in front wheel drive.

turboSPE

Thanks for the response. The reason I asked is because the little indicator light on the dash illuminated the front two wheels when I placed the truck in H2 on the 4WD shifter. Admittedly, this was without locking the hubs, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Second question:

can I leave the 4WD shifter in neutral? Or does it need to be in 2HI? So long as the hubs aren't locked, does it even make any difference?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Thanks for the response. The reason I asked is because the little indicator light on the dash illuminated the front two wheels when I placed the truck in H2 on the 4WD shifter. Admittedly, this was without locking the hubs, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

Second question:

can I leave the 4WD shifter in neutral? Or does it need to be in 2HI? So long as the hubs aren't locked, does it even make any difference?

Are you sure the lights are lit in 2WD? That probably shouldn't be happening, whether the hubs are locked or not.

If you leave the 4WD shifter in neutral, it will be similar to leaving your transmission in neutral. You can do it, but you won't be going anywhere. Unless you're using 4WD, you have to leave it in 2-Hi.

I've seen arguments elsewhere (can't remember where) that debated leaving the transfer case in 4WD when the hubs weren't locked (because the power wasn't getting to the wheels, it couldn't do any damage) or leaving the hubs locked all the time, but I forget if anything meaningful came of them.

Your best bet is to only use 4WD (with locked hubs) only when you need it.

turboSPE
  • Reply 4 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Quote:

Originally posted by turbospe

Are you sure the lights are lit in 2WD? That probably shouldn't be happening, whether the hubs are locked or not.

If you leave the 4WD shifter in neutral, it will be similar to leaving your transmission in neutral. You can do it, but you won't be going anywhere. Unless you're using 4WD, you have to leave it in 2-Hi.

I've seen arguments elsewhere (can't remember where) that debated leaving the transfer case in 4WD when the hubs weren't locked (because the power wasn't getting to the wheels, it couldn't do any damage) or leaving the hubs locked all the time, but I forget if anything meaningful came of them.

Your best bet is to only use 4WD (with locked hubs) only when you need it.

turboSPE

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but Winter is upon us here and I've had to put the truck in 4WD this morning just to get out of my driveway.

Some quick questions:

1) Is there a difference between driving with locked hubs in 2-hi and driving normally? I ask because I only needed true 4WD in certain spots on my drive to work this morning, and it's a pain the ass to have to get out, unlock the hubs, drive along, get out, lock them again, get out, unlock them...etc.

2) I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but after making it down the big-assed hill to my local coffee shop (in 4-hi), I got out, got my coffee, came back, unlocked the hubs and cranked the truck back up. The 4WD indicator light stayed on. I got out, re-locked and unlocked the hubs again, and it stayed on. It was 14 degrees this morning, and I'd really rather not have to touch that cold metal if i don't have to

Sorry for all these dumb questions. I've never had a 4WD before, and the ones I've driven have all been automatic.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 10,060member
    Nevermind. Turns out the light went away once I started driving.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but Winter is upon us here and I've had to put the truck in 4WD this morning just to get out of my driveway.

Some quick questions:

1) Is there a difference between driving with locked hubs in 2-hi and driving normally? I ask because I only needed true 4WD in certain spots on my drive to work this morning, and it's a pain the ass to have to get out, unlock the hubs, drive along, get out, lock them again, get out, unlock them...etc.

2) I don't know if I did something wrong or not, but after making it down the big-assed hill to my local coffee shop (in 4-hi), I got out, got my coffee, came back, unlocked the hubs and cranked the truck back up. The 4WD indicator light stayed on. I got out, re-locked and unlocked the hubs again, and it stayed on. It was 14 degrees this morning, and I'd really rather not have to touch that cold metal if i don't have to

Sorry for all these dumb questions. I've never had a 4WD before, and the ones I've driven have all been automatic.

1) You shouldn't really notice a difference between the 2. I had an old Bronco with manual hubs and could definitely tell when the hubs were locked in 2 wheel drive. However, your truck sounds rather new, so there shouldn't be any noticable difference. I would try it in a parking lot and make some tight turns. If you feel the wheels locking, unlock your hubs.

Keeping them locked all the time isn't generally recommended since it does cause a little bit more wear on your wheel bearings. YMMV, of course.

turboSPE