Apple ships its iMac G5

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
The Sgemore/Marlton Apple store here in New Jersey has the iMac's starting Monday the 13th of Sept according to a store employee [MOD EDIT: Name Removed - Jambo] . i suggest that we all call him and make sure he isnt lying. the store number is [MOD EDIT: Number Removed - Jambo] . He told me that last wednesday before I made my order. he said," I have good news for you, the new iMac will be here Sept 13th and shiping starts that day as well for pre-orders." He said I could order it then and if store got them first i could cxl order and pick it up there. Thats tommoro. heard the same thing for West coast. Anyone else heard this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Dean15 - please check your Private Messages.

Posting the personal details of individuals, including Apple employees, is not tolerated on these forums.

Thanks
  • Reply 2 of 54
    Stores may have demo units (possibly the ones on display in Paris) but I doubt they will have any for sale. Shipping will probably be via air from Taiwan (as previous when new iMacs were first introduced). Just a guess, of course.
  • Reply 3 of 54
    Is that 1994 or 2094 ?
  • Reply 4 of 54
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple has reportedly shipped the first batch of its new iMac G5 desktop computers.

As expected, Apple Computer on Monday began shipping both the 17-inch and 20-inch configurations of its new iMac G5 computer, two days ahead of its initial estimates.

Several Apple online store customers have reportedly received emails confirming that their orders have left Apple's manufacturing facilities in Asia. According to the email, customers can expect the arrival of the new iMacs within the next 10 days, though precise dates are dependent on the customer's chosen freight options (standard or premium) and location within the US.

Initial shipments of the new all-in-one computers are also said to be in-route to the company's highest trafficked retail stores, but are likely to be gobbled up by starving first-comers.

Meanwhile, Apple has recommended that its reseller channel place drop ship orders for the new iMacs. According to insiders, the company will be fulfilling drop ship orders for pallet quantities of computers prior to addressing single or non pallet orders. The 17-inch iMac G5 configurations will ship in pallets of 20, while the 20-inch iMacs will ship in pallets of 16.

Apple officially launched the iMac G5 in late August, with availability suggested for mid-September. The computer is said to be the first fully user-serviceable Macintosh, and also the worlds thinnest desktop.
  • Reply 5 of 54
    Wow, that was fast! To me this is great news! Much better than the 17" PB rollout fiasco.
  • Reply 6 of 54
    Apple ships a product! On time?! We need more of this behavior.
  • Reply 7 of 54
    Yes!

I ordered my 20" on day one at 6 am so hopefully won't have wait too long.

Now I'll be watching my e-mail about a dozen times a day until I get the ONE e-mail I want to see!
  • Reply 8 of 54
    kalikali Posts: 634member
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

Yes!

I ordered my 20" on day one at 6 am so hopefully won't have wait too long.

Now I'll be watching my e-mail about a dozen times a day until I get the ONE e-mail I want to see!

I hope you will describe your new machine with details here, when you'll receive it, with special attention to the video card ! ;-)
  • Reply 9 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kali

I hope you will describe your new machine with details here, when you'll receive it, with special attention to the video card ! ;-)

And 'real life' pictures
  • Reply 10 of 54
    kali

The digital camera is ready - now all I have to do is figure out how to tell my wife I ordered it!

I doubt if the video card will be an issue with me. Lots of digital pictures, but I'm not into games. The real issue for me is that Apple delivers well balanced computers that I can depend on. I compare that with the agony I have had running a business on PCs and I'm in love with Macs.
  • Reply 11 of 54
    Does anyone know if their local Apple Store has even a display model in yet of the new iMac.

I need to ring them. It is unclear whether the US-ordered models come with a built-in power adapter that ranges from 100-240 volts. This is crucial to me, I will purchase it in the US, but perhaps use it in Europe, too.

The specifications listed by Apple on their website leave room for doubt, and I have contacted MacZone, MacConnection and MacMall and have received three different answers ('yes', I 'dont know' and 'no' (i.e. only 100-120 for US models).

Thanks, and to you early adopters, I'm green with envy!
  • Reply 12 of 54
    You didn't tell her you ordered it yet?! Oh no! Tell her something like, "I wanted it to be a surprise, and darling, it is not even nearly as beautiful as you." Even though that's probably a lie...wait, she's more beautiful, unless she looks like Jay Leno too!
  • Reply 13 of 54
    I just ordered a stock 17" for my mother a couple hours ago. My ship date is 10/12.

Hopefully it will last her eight trouble free* years like the 6500 it is replacing did.

* If you don't count the one time that a peecee owning relative came to visit and decided to take it upon herself to 'fix' the completely functional 6500. I don't what the hell she did, but it required a complete format and reinstall. And she inexplicably managed to fry an external modem.

• Reply 14 of 54
    Does anyone know if their local Apple Store has even a display model in yet of the new iMac.

I need to ring them. It is unclear whether the US-ordered models come with a built-in power adapter that ranges from 100-240 volts. This is crucial to me, I will purchase it in the US, but perhaps use it in Europe, too.

The specifications listed by Apple on their website leave room for doubt, and I have contacted MacZone, MacConnection and MacMall and have received three different answers ('yes', I 'dont know' and 'no' (i.e. only 100-120 for US models).

Thanks, and to you early adopters, I'm green with envy!
  • Reply 15 of 54
    Every previous product from the iPod up can deal with the different voltages worldwide. I doubt the iMac is different.

[edit]

Even Apple's normally crystal clear specs are vague on this point:

Quote:

From www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

Electrical and environmental requirements

Meets ENERGY STAR requirements

Line voltage: 100-120V AC or 100-240V AC, depending on country of use

• Reply 16 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by Tuttle

I just ordered a stock 17" for my mother a couple hours ago. My ship date is 10/12.

Woah I thought you ment 10th Dec then, damn US style dates
  • Reply 17 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by kenaustus

kali

The digital camera is ready - now all I have to do is figure out how to tell my wife I ordered it!

I doubt if the video card will be an issue with me. Lots of digital pictures, but I'm not into games. The real issue for me is that Apple delivers well balanced computers that I can depend on. I compare that with the agony I have had running a business on PCs and I'm in love with Macs.

What most of us care about in this regard is not so much the performance, but the ability to run dual monitor setups.
  • Reply 18 of 54
    Huh? Another thread on the same subject? Read the Apple Insider report. Call your local store and ask.\
  • Reply 19 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by tadunne

Woah I thought you ment 10th Dec then, damn US style dates

That's right world! The American Way or The Highway!

Although I do use metric as much as possible...
  • Reply 20 of 54
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacsRGood4U

Huh? Another thread on the same subject? Read the Apple Insider report. Call your local store and ask.\

I already called my store and asked . ..Rockingham Park in NH. They couln't be sure, and said they will know only when they get one in stock.

No straight answers out there. You tell me to ask my store ... worthless advice. Apple Store in Rockingham says wait ... they cant get basic info in the form of a frigging email from Apple. And MacMall, MacWarehouse and MacConnection each give three different, conflicting answers.

Wild.