Apple Computer Components

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Who makes most of the apple components besides the obvious ones. And also, how much do they cost? I know ATI and nVidia with the video cards, and Motorola with the G4's but who makes the motherboards and RAM and hard drives and disc drives, and LCD's and how much do they cost apple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    My guess is that their makeing %20 more than what they paid. If your a developer you get Hardware discounts. They price you pay then is the same it costs them. The motherboard is made I think by Apple. I know Sony made the monitors for a while but I'm not sure how does now.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    I don't think Apple could actually make the mb...they might design it but i doubt they actually do the fab...maybe some other eastern fab but i dont think apple has their own fab.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    No just like Nvidia and plenty of others. Apple designs their ASICS and purchases chipsets that they need not design themselves and then they have a company fab them. Nvidia uses TSMC.

Apple does do alot of design however. Look at their new System Controller on the MDD Macs. Pretty nifty.