Wacky Word

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Two days ago I purchased a 128mb Kingston USB Flash drive to transfer files between the computers at school and my home PC. Those school computers, of course, are Macs. Using Office v.X, I created a very important first half of a report, and saved it to said flash drive. The file appeared on the Macintosh, and thus the key was removed. Upon placement into my PC, however, a file and a folder remained in it's place: .Trashes (a folder containing nothing) and DS_Store File (a file that DID nothing, even when opened in Word). Where'd my document go?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Did you eject the drive, or just yank it out?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Well, the .Trash folder is where Mac OS X temporarily moves all your deleted items from your flash drive. These items appear in your trash, but they are still on your flash drive. I just recently learned this myself. I had my entire 64MB flash drive filled up with photos. One day I decided to clear the drive out and put some other files on it. Well I deleted all of them and they went into my Mac OS X trash can, but I didn't empty it. So I went to move new files to the flash drive when I noticed that it was still full. It didn't actually clear up space on the drive until I actually deleted the items from my Trash.

As for the .DS_Store, that's a file that Mac OS X stores preferences for that particular directory such as window settings and locations, etc.

I really don't know why your Word file isn't appearing on your PC. Try moving the file again to your flash drive and make sure that after you have completely finished moving it, to drag the flash drive volume icon on your desktop to the Trash. As you drag it the Trash will turn into a big eject icon. Drag it over the eject icon and it will properly eject.

Sometimes flash drives can get touchy if they aren't properly ejected.

Give it a try and report back. If it doesn't work, we'll go from there.

Mike
  • Reply 3 of 3
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    You stick the flash card back on the Mac? Did the file appear?