Apple Personal Laserwriter 320

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I got a Apple Personal Laserwriter 320 from a Thrift shop and I can't seem to get it to work... I can't find a Chooser driver/extension for the 320. Does the Laserwriter 300 driver work correctly with the 320?

I have been trying to print from an old Quadra 700 with that driver and it won't communicate....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    A new Personal laserwriter icon does not show up in the chooser. You have to select Laserwriter 8 an the printer will show up in the window on the right. Than you just click "configure" and "Auto configure."

But if that doesn't work, make sure you have the personal laserwriter enabled in the extensions manager, or reinstall the printer driver.

EDIT: Oh yea, make sure you have Appletalk set to the printer port, not remote, modem, or ethernet.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    When you bought the printer you got just the printer and not the four disks that have the printer's software on them? 'cause if that's the problem I'm looking at the four disks right now. I can mail 'em to you, or email them to you. Let me know.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

A new Personal laserwriter icon does not show up in the chooser. You have to select Laserwriter 8 an the printer will show up in the window on the right. Than you just click "configure" and "Auto configure."

But if that doesn't work, make sure you have the personal laserwriter enabled in the extensions manager, or reinstall the printer driver.

EDIT: Oh yea, make sure you have Appletalk set to the printer port, not remote, modem, or ethernet.

Hey, that worked. Thanks! Now here is the new problem... How do I keep the computer that is connected to the printer still on my LAN?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If I recall, making a desktop printer can solve that problem. In your utilities folder, there should be some kind of desktop printers program. Run that and create a new printer and save it to the desktop. This should always have your printer handy and allow you to change your appletalk settings to ethernet. I hope. I have close to the same setup here and I remember it being somewhat of a problem so after a while I trashed it and started using a networked printer.