If Apple Won't, perhaps Microsoft & HP will...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
http://news.com.com/With+new+OS%2C+M...j=news.1016.20

Looks like with HP's support, the Windows XP Media Center might be the holy grail of universally available digital audio/video in the home. It's a shame to see Apple asleep at the wheel on this one, as it's clear (at least to me) that this is the next step in personal computing.

My computer should be a hub of information, a collection, sort, and repository of my digital life; but I should be able to VIEW that life on my television, listen to it on my stereo etc.

Why won't Apple release a MEDIA CENTER Mac, or something similar? Perhaps a simple iLife application that takes iMovie, iPhoto, and iTunes and makes them accessible with a remote and television (using an existing Mac or PowerBook as the computer). I've got an old Powerbook that can hook up to my TV, and get my shared iTunes music etc, but it can't be controlled va remote.

Come on Steve, I know you hate TV, but this is honestly going to cost you if you don't get on board. NO one could solve this 'digital lifestyle' problem better than APPLE. PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!

Otherwise, I'll buy the HP Media Center and you'll risk a slow road back to Windows for all of your Mac-heads.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The problem here is that the computer is not the best source for handling multimedia in the living room/rec room IMO.

MS has tried this and failed. Primarily because PCs are still too big, noisy and clunky to perform as reliable as your garden variety CE device.

Apple will be there. I know they will but they will hit the ground with a product that works better than MS' Media Center flop.

People don't want to run a computer hooked up to their TV. They want a nice powerful Set Top Box that handles everything fine and stays quiet and unobtrusive. MS isn't delivering this (no suprise here)and we may be a year or two out from having a truly functional box.

"10-foot Interface" is marketing mumbo jumbo from a company that doesn't know its arsehole from its elbow. In two years I expect to have the Trinity of Apple multimedia products.

1. iPod- for mobility

2. More Automobile options

3. Home unit that doesn't require computer as server.

That's all we need to cover %90 of all music needs as far as location goes. I know Apple will be there but not this christmas so I don't expect anything until MWSF or CES next year(I hope Apple attends)
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Sport73

http://news.com.com/With+new+OS%2C+M...j=news.1016.20

Looks like with HP's support, the Windows XP Media Center might be the holy grail of universally available digital audio/video in the home. It's a shame to see Apple asleep at the wheel on this one, as it's clear (at least to me) that this is the next step in personal computing.

My computer should be a hub of information, a collection, sort, and repository of my digital life; but I should be able to VIEW that life on my television, listen to it on my stereo etc.

Why won't Apple release a MEDIA CENTER Mac, or something similar? Perhaps a simple iLife application that takes iMovie, iPhoto, and iTunes and makes them accessible with a remote and television (using an existing Mac or PowerBook as the computer). I've got an old Powerbook that can hook up to my TV, and get my shared iTunes music etc, but it can't be controlled va remote.

Come on Steve, I know you hate TV, but this is honestly going to cost you if you don't get on board. NO one could solve this 'digital lifestyle' problem better than APPLE. PLEASE!! PLEASE!!! PLEASE!!!

Otherwise, I'll buy the HP Media Center and you'll risk a slow road back to Windows for all of your Mac-heads.

If you really wnt that integration, its not hard at all. You jsut have to be creative and think about how you need wire your room. I've got an integrated multimedia center in my dorm room just because i took the time to figure out how i could use what i already had to make cable go through my computer, etc. I've got BT mouse and keyboard for remotes, and I use the zoom feature to look at things on the screen when i'm across the room. I've got a tv next to my sceen for video editing, but i can run cable or whatever other signal through it, as well as the G5. It's all about having lots of I/O.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I agree with your points, but I think the computer is a requirement to accompany the set top box.

The ideal solution (IMO)

1. Your Mac

2. Wireless Network

3. Inexpensive set-top with HD/TV tuner and Tivo functionality, but with interface the seemlessly blends that 'local' content with iMovie, iPhoto, iTunes from your Mac.

4. iPod like remote control.

Why? You still need the 3-foot experience to edit your iMovie, work with your iPhotos, and manage your iTunes library (though purchases and music videos should be accesible via the set-top box). You need a local HD for decent quality TV recording functions (ala Tivo) and so as not to EAT your Mac's HD with TV content.

Aiport Express with a video out and iPod-esque remote would be a good start (if you already have Tivo), but the ultimate goal should be the above.

PS> Would some software geek make this a reality by building a full screen interface for iLife app control using Bluetooth and Salling Clicker? There's a real opportunity there!
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by ipodandimac

If you really wnt that integration, its not hard at all. You jsut have to be creative and think about how you need wire your room. I've got an integrated multimedia center in my dorm room just because i took the time to figure out how i could use what i already had to make cable go through my ocmputer, etc.

I've done that using a Powerbook inside my Entertainment Center to stream content. But, as I said, it's not exactly a 'clean' experience since there is no TV-friendly interface for iTunes/iPhoto even if you use a Bluetooth remote and Salling Clicker.

In a 4-bedroom home, with a Mac in the office and the HDTV 50' away, it's more difficult than a dorm room to get everything seamlessly integrated. IN a dormroom, every experience (TV, Computer) is of the 3-foot variety
  • Reply 5 of 9
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

4. iPod like remote control.

Flat faced, curved back but with a flat spot, lay it down face down or face up

Shuts off when you let go, turns on on touch (electrostatic).

Airport card

Streams only playlists, zero content

Browse playlists on multiple remote computers
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Quote:

Aiport Express with a video out

for starters, that would probably only be available in an airport extreme (the bigger base station). If this is a home setup, theres no need for you to be moving your wireless video everywhere you go, that is, until there's better integration in hotel rooms, etc. But also, I don't tihnk anything could support the bandwidth for that video, especially if you're sending HD throughout your house to all your Tv's.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The fun really doesn't start until we can send the audio or video files directly to our Receivers/Preamps without transcoding.

Look for future chips from Motorola, Sigma etc to support the most popular audio and DRM formats. Once this happens then Media Centers can really take off and wifi can truly take off because it's carrying the files in their compressed state for efficiency.

This is not an area where MS can build up a sizable lead because it is the CE products that need to catch up with todays burgeoning formats. Apple is always working towards the future in multimedia because of their extensive work with Quicktime. Looking at Tiger you see that Dashboard and even Quicktime are showing up with transparent control overlays. The interface is coming...watch a video..need to make changes and up pops up the overlay with controls.

I'm sure that Apple is right on track with this "convergence" coming. Consumers having home networks is still a new thing. Wifi is still moving forward and is due for some nice speed increases.

In 5 years we will look back at 2004 and laugh at how decrepit the products were then. Forward progress in technology tends to take a series of small jumps and then a few large ones now and then.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Funny thing is, Microsoft already make the perfect media centre but they don't realise it.

Mod an Xbox, and install the fan made 'Xbox Media Centre'. Amazing what it can do. I use mine everyday. It's plugged in to my PC via a router, and can access standard Windows shares for just about any media format you like.

MP3, DIVX, MPEG 1-2-4, xVid, OGM containers, WMV, WMA, JPG, etc. And internet radio stations too. It even gives you the weather forcast from The Weather Channel.

And it looks pretty too, the standard interface certainly inspired by Mac OS X.

Too bad you need to chip the Xbox to do it. Works with the Xbox remote control too.

Problem I see with a solution from a company such as Apple or Microsoft, is that they would be unlikely to support the formats which are not commonly used on commercial sites. Such as xVid and DIVX.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I USE Windows Media Edition on my desktop. Admittedly I laughed at it at first but after I connected my cable modem to my desktop, it became more interesting. I basically use it to record soaps and programs (you can set it to record a series, etc.). I recorded the Olympics Opening Show and the quality is decent to project onto a big screen (I think it's an avi file).

The bottom line is that I actually use it and it basically works; I even listen to radio stations via an FM wire hook-up. There are other options like picture viewing, music streaming via Music Match Jukebox (yuck!) etc. but I haven't used them.

I think Microsoft is on to something and I think Apple would do well to market something similar.

Now if only I didn't have to keep re-booting...(Windows Media Edition has a tendency to crash after a few days). LOL...