Another iMac G5 review....

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well, I've had it up and running for about an hour now. I put 1 gig of memory in it just now and honestly haven't noticed the difference yet, it ran pretty well with the 256 at first.

Some of you have asked about how much noise it makes. It doesn't. It is sitting next to my four year old Dell laptop which is deafening in comparison. I'm serious, it makes NO sound.

The screen is incredible. I read someone's earlier post that they had 20 stuck pixels and I immediately worried I would have some as well. If I do, I haven't noticed them yet. The screen by itself is worth the money. (If I haven't mentioned it yet, I've got a 20 incher). The 20 seems a LOT bigger than the 17.

The computer hasn't gotten all that hot from what I can tell. I really don't care so long as the thing works!!

The speakers leave something to be desired in my opinion. The sound quality is good, but they just don't get loud enough. Honestly though, I planned to use my Altec Lansings the whole time. You can't expect that much out of internal speakers.

As far as where I obtained the computer....

I have called our two local Apple stores here in Atlanta almost hourly for the past three days. I finally hit upon a helpful salesperson today who said he would call me as soon as one showed up. I was a little miffed at the Lenox Square store. The day of the Paris keynote, I called them and asked if they were keeping a waiting list. They told me, "No, after the mini Ipod fiasco, they weren't going to keep lists any more." This past Sunday I was there again, and the salesperson I was speaking with said, "Do you have your name on the list?" So I went from being a probably first or second on the list to 10th on the list. Fortunately, the North Point location wasnt' keeping a list.

Some of you are probably wondering, "Why didn't you just order online?" Well I did want to at least see it in person once before purchasing. One look and I knew I wanted it!!

Marcus

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Oh, and by the way, does anyone want to make an offer on a 256 stick of RAM
  • Reply 2 of 5
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mivaldes

Well, I've had it up and running for about an hour now. I put 1 gig of memory in it just now and honestly haven't noticed the difference yet, it ran pretty well with the 256 at first.

You would notice a huge improvement only if you loaded and stressed much the system.

And congratulations on your purchase!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Well, I'm up to using the new iMac for several hours now. I LOVE IT! The only problem I've had so far is converting my PC Quicken files to Mac. Still haven't figured it out. This computer was an easy sell to my wife after she has seen the SIMS on it. I'm not sure what all the complaining is about reference the video card. It is plenty fast unless I guess you are using a serious game or something.....

Marcus
  • Reply 4 of 5
    You have to export your windows quicken files to .qif Then you can import them onto your Mac. hope that helps.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have tried that, but the amounts and accounts get all screwed up! I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong.