Verizon Fios- want 5-30Mb speeds? U can have it.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
If you live in Keller Texas.

Am I jealous. Hell yes..I hope the Seattle area is next or coming soon. I'll gladly...I'll gladly...did I say "I'll gladly" pay $49.95 for up to 15Mb down 2Mb up broadband

Hmmm. Now I knew that Fiber to the Premises(FTTP) was coming but I didn't think it would come this quickly. Man I'm dreaming about streaming HD video and downloading Pr0...er Programs quickly

Plus the dsl distance limitation has no effect. This is all fiber..much longer distances should be available. More info here from Ars.

I'm excited about this...is that just the geek in me?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

I'm excited about this...is that just the geek in me?

No, it the devil inside your subconsious mind that is getting excited as you turn many people green with envy at this post.
  • Reply 2 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It'll be years before a service like this is available at my location. You can't just string up new fiber-optic cable/equipment on poles in this town because all the lines are buried.

If you live on a particular strip of Orange County, in some sparsely populated Texas town, or in the back of Virginia somwhere, then great...

I imagine I'll be using my cable provider for internet access for a loooooong time.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    Some neighborhoods (including mine) have FTTP in Sacramento, CA. Surewest, the telecom that provides it, strung lines forever throughout certain sections of the city. The speed is 10Mbps up/down, and the techie that installed my line said that they are able to cranck it up whenever they wanted/needed (when the competeing cable co comes too close with the speed to their offering).

The price is $49/month. It sure feels good to see the download progress bar read 1.2MB/s.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    If verizon says it, it is a lie, GARONTEED they MOTHER FUCKING SUCK. I WAS a dsl costomer till 3 months ago when I got fed u and now pay 5$ morew for MUCH better speed, and superb customer service.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by a_greer

If verizon says it, it is a lie, GARONTEED they MOTHER FUCKING SUCK. I WAS a dsl costomer till 3 months ago when I got fed u and now pay 5$ morew for MUCH better speed, and superb customer service.

It's the opposite here. Comcast charges $46.21 in my areas for Cable Modems and during my 9 months stint I had like 6 brownouts and a 3 day blackout. The extra speed just wasn't worth it so now I'm on verizon for 34.95. I admit though I'm really lusting over some "real" bandwidth.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    This is good news, any chances of ADSL2 being inplemented in US in the near by future. I am staying in India and the highest speed connection my ISP gives is 256 kbps with download limit of 1 GB for about 50 US dollars which is a lot of money here in India. Kudos to the broadband suppliers in the US.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    The only nation in the world that has something over 80% of broadband users in the world (much higher than the US) is South Korea. Even the government subsideses a huge amount of money anually for people with lower income.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by zwiebel

The only nation in the world that has something over 80% of broadband users in the world (much higher than the US) is South Korea. Even the government subsideses a huge amount of money anually for people with lower income.

That's because they all play Warcraft.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    Cablevision is 10mb/sec down and 1mb/sec up.

it costs like 29.99 a month or something.

who would have thought the bronx would have one of the best broadband deals around. especially since it took us forever to get it.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    fahlmanfahlman Posts: 740member
    Just had mt 5Mbps/2Mbps FiOS installed today. Only $29.95/month with a $50.00 rebate on a 12 month contract. If you factor in the rebate per month it's only $23.95/month. Oh, and it's pretty fast 4.9+Mbps down and 1.7Mbps up. This is in Fort Wayne, Indiana.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Quote:

Originally posted by applenut

Cablevision is 10mb/sec down and 1mb/sec up.

it costs like 29.99 a month or something.

who would have thought the bronx would have one of the best broadband deals around. especially since it took us forever to get it.

Ha wait till your 6 months are up and you have to give em 45. I been with them for 3 years in Feb. They should give a discount to those of us who past the 2 year mark. I would settle for a bump in speed. 10/2 would be nice.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Time Warner cable in Minneapolis fully supports 100+ Mbps down and very close to 50 Mbps up if you hack your modem.

It's been like that since ~2000.

$40/ month
  • Reply 13 of 13
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    I've read that due to some sort of piss poor atitude toward video franchising the state of WA will be late to the FIOS party. I'm freakin' pissed. I crave this bandwidth for no more a legit reason than it's cools to say "I have a 30mb connection"

Comcast's laggard arse won't be giving up 10mb anytime soon with the dearth of competition.