4th apple store in DC/Metro area is coming.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
There is a job listing for an apple store in Bethesda Row. It is near the already existing Montgomery mall apple store. Why is apple sending apple stores there while others have to drive at least an hour to get to one? What does apple see in this area?

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Money.

The average income in southern montgomery county is among the highest in the world.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bring it to northwest DC!
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I'm still waiting for one down in the Hampton Roads area of Virginia. The largest concentration of military in the world and there's not one yet.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by quagmire

There is a job listing for an apple store in Bethesda Row. It is near the already existing Montgomery mall apple store. Why is apple sending apple stores there while others have to drive at least an hour to get to one? What does apple see in this area?

http://www.ifoapplestore.com/stores/chronology.html

Here are some reasons that you probably wouldn't know about:

1. DC/Baltimore is the 4th largest metro area in the US

2. Southern Montgomery County and parts of Northern Virginia are among the richest areas in the country

3. Northern Virginia's Dulles toll-road and Maryland's 270 are practically Silicon Valley 2
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Ok if the DC area is seen as Silicon Valley 2 when will they get a flagship store?
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

You would think. It's another very affluent area.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Quote:

Ok if the DC area is seen as Silicon Valley 2 when will they get a flagship store?

Um, the first Apple Store was in Tysons Corner. DC may not be as large as NY or LA and it's not the home of Apple like SF, but the metro area does have the second most tech companies next to the Silicon Valley area.

http://www.nvtc.org/home.htm
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by dferigmu

Um, the first Apple Store was in Tysons Corner. DC may not be as large as NY or LA and it's not the home of Apple like SF, but the metro area does have the second most tech companies next to the Silicon Valley area.

http://www.nvtc.org/home.htm

Um, I knew that Tysons was the first. Towson was the second, Montgomery Mall is the third, and Bethesda Row is the 4th. What I was saying why not build a flagship store in DC. SF isn't the home of apple. Cupertino,CA is. so what is the chances of DC getting a flagship store?
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Quote:

Um, I knew that Tysons was the first. Towson was the second, Montgomery Mall is the third, and Bethesda Row is the 4th. What I was saying why not build a flagship store in DC. SF isn't the home of apple. Cupertino,CA is. so what is the chances of DC getting a flagship store?

Sounds like you should hit mapquest. . . . Cupertino is like Reston: a suburban outpost with a lot of tech in it. SF is very close, and it's the big city in the area.

Why no flagship store in DC? Well, DC isn't a cool place. Aside from the capital city thing, it doesn't have that much flavor -- far too many lawyers and doctors. While weathy people are more likely to buy macs than less wealthy people, it's not like the high-end car market, where almost everyone in the upper income brackets has one. I like DC, but I think anyone who has been to SF, NY, and DC can legitimately realize why DC doesn't have a flagship store. It's too stodgy of a city.
  • Reply 10 of 14
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

Sounds like you should hit mapquest. . . . Cupertino is like Reston: a suburban outpost with a lot of tech in it. SF is very close, and it's the big city in the area.

Why no flagship store in DC? Well, DC isn't a cool place. Aside from the capital city thing, it doesn't have that much flavor -- far too many lawyers and doctors. While weathy people are more likely to buy macs than less wealthy people, it's not like the high-end car market, where almost everyone in the upper income brackets has one. I like DC, but I think anyone who has been to SF, NY, and DC can legitimately realize why DC doesn't have a flagship store. It's too stodgy of a city.

How about building one in Baltimore or in a big town outside DC? Maybe even add some flavor to DC.
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Quote:

I guess they must figure that the Clarendon store is close enough and on the metro line that it doesn't warrant setting up a DC store. While I would like to see DC get a flagship store, I don't think that that's going to happen. There are well to do areas in DC - it's true, but overall a lot of the money is in the suburbs. If at all, DC may get one of the regular stores...maybe Georgetown would be a good place for one.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Quote:

It's true. DC is odd. It's unlike any city in the U.S. Its population is much smaller than the metro area, but it seems like it's getting more and more trendy so maybe we'll see something like a Georgeown Apple Store. That would probably be the only place that would make sense. Downtown DC is still no NY or even SF though.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Nebagakid

I agree that DC wouldn't be worthy of a flagship Apple store, especially since DC-shopping is concentrated in the suburbs that are already littered with Apple stores. But one of the new "mini" stores in DuPont or Georgetown would be a nice idea.

Quote:

DC isn't a cool place. Aside from the capital city thing, it doesn't have that much flavor -- far too many lawyers and doctors.

You talkin' to me, Splinemodel? (I just passed the bar and am now officially a lawyer, so I have to take good-humored offense.) Knowing that you're from DC, I think you're a bit harsh on the District. I personally love DC's fusion of urban with subarban qualities. OTOH, I won't deny that larger cities like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, London and Tokyo are more deserving, and thus have scored flagship stores. As I said above, a "mini" Apple Store would do nicely for downtown DC or snobby Georgetown.

Escher
  • Reply 14 of 14
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    The DC government sucks and needs the ability to control itself, but come on and put an Apple Storemini in Friendship Heights or Tenlytown.