Another FireWire port just died! >:-(

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
What the hell... I unmounted my iPod (which had been playing nicely in iTunes), unplugged it from the Cube, plugged my bus-powered HD into the cable, and... nothing.

Now the port provides power, but no data.

ASP reports "No FireWire devices detected" (including the ports themselves!)

Why is FW so freaking delicate!? I've had ports go bad on my PowerBook G4, my iPod, two different HD enclosures and my iPod. I've used different cables during these failures. I just don't understand!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Try contacting Apple Center or e.Tech.

Bus-powered devices may kill the FireWire port, which I heard from those TiBook/400 and 500 owners. Good luck pal.

Kenneth
  • Reply 2 of 9
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    [quote]Originally posted by Xidius:

<strong>I have never, thus far, needed my firewire port. Kind of a waste if you ask me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

You need to buy more toys.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member

<strong>I have never, thus far, needed my firewire port. Kind of a waste if you ask me.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm. I use a FireWire port every session. Man I'd be pissed if one died on me.

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: gordy ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member

<strong>I have never, thus far, needed my firewire port. Kind of a waste if you ask me.

- Xidius

[ 09-26-2002: Message edited by: Xidius ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

• Reply 5 of 9
    Man, that does suck. Like someone else mentioned, I would definitely see what Apple says about it. I use my firwire ports VERY often for my video work, and if they died, well, I would be mad as well. Lol. Good luck.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

Why is FW so freaking delicate!? I've had ports go bad on my PowerBook G4, my iPod, two different HD enclosures and my iPod. I've used different cables during these failures. I just don't understand<hr></blockquote>

Stop spreading FUD!!! You mentioned your iPod twice, hoping it would slip by. tsk, tsk.

That sucks man. At least nothing got fried this time around. :/

[ 09-27-2002: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 9
    I've never broken one, but they do require more force than I would think is safe, especially when you look at usb and ethernet which require hardly any force at all.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by tonton:

<strong>What the hell... I unmounted my iPod (which had been playing nicely in iTunes), unplugged it from the Cube, plugged my bus-powered HD into the cable, and... nothing.

Now the port provides power, but no data.

ASP reports "No FireWire devices detected" (including the ports themselves!)

Why is FW so freaking delicate!? I've had ports go bad on my PowerBook G4, my iPod, two different HD enclosures and my iPod. I've used different cables during these failures. I just don't understand!</strong><hr></blockquote>

The exact same thing happened to my external hard drive from eBay and I've only had it for 2 days!!! It better be under warranty.