wireless network ibook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm purchasing a used g3 500mhz ibook . . . I'm looking for the most economical way of setting up a wireless network. I have a cable internet connection with cable modem. I also have two g4 imacs that are networked (wired)through a linksys router.

The ibook does not have an airport card. The ibook will be used for word processing, email and surfing the net.

What's your suggestion for the best solution to wirelessly network with the internet connection and the other two computers.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    you can just have one of the Macs that are connected to the router be the airport hub, and have the iBook connect to that...
  • Reply 2 of 2
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    You need two things: a wireless card for your iBook, and a wireless access point.

The first is simple: pick up an original Airport (802.11b) card for the iBook from eBay.

You have lots of options for the second. The cheapest and simplest is to pick up a wireless router to replace your wired-only Linksys. I like D-Link, but YMMV. You should be able to find one for <$50, which will actually cost less than buying a second Airport card for an iMac to use it as a access point, or buying an Airport Express that would plug into your existing router.