G5 freezes - affected by new ATi drivers?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Thought I'd raise the question - I have a Rev B 1.8 DP with a 9600 XT, that has been suffering random freezes, almost nightly. I installed both the ATi displays update, and the RETAIL card firmware update, in the hopes it helps.

Interestingly, the info at xlr8yourmac.com and ATI.com don't list the 9600 as a card affected by the update, but the install proceeded, and no freezes tonight. While YMMV, I thought I'd throw it out there as something to try!

Regards,

Aaron

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SharkBait

Thought I'd raise the question - I have a Rev B 1.8 DP with a 9600 XT, that has been suffering random freezes, almost nightly. I installed both the ATi displays update, and the RETAIL card firmware update, in the hopes it helps.

Interestingly, the info at xlr8yourmac.com and ATI.com don't list the 9600 as a card affected by the update, but the install proceeded, and no freezes tonight. While YMMV, I thought I'd throw it out there as something to try!

Regards,

Aaron

I have a REV B 2.0 DP with a 9600xt...

(its the 90nm 970fx version)

Anyways... I had 4 KP's in 3 days. I narrowed it down to a few things...

1) 10.3.5 (go to macupdate.com and re-update 10.3.5... I haven't had a KP since I did that).

2) External drive? (My iPod was always connected and perhaps caused iTunes to freeze?)

3) HP Printer? (might want to check for TIMES RO font)

I changed all 3 of those at once.... and haven't had a KP since. I really think it was the re-updating to 10.3.5. But if you do that and are still getting it... I'd be willing to bet it is a software conflict or hardware conflict...

It is helpful to check your crash logs... /Library/logs/ (check those guys out)... or you can go to Console (in utilities) and check logs through there if you aren't comfortable with the terminal.

GL
  • Reply 2 of 2
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    I have a rev A 2x2Ghz w/ OEM 9800 Pro. I just installed the latest official ATI drivers and I'll let you know if I have any problems. I haven't had many previously and I haven't had any since I installed the update, but that was hours ago.