code free vhs/dvd recorders

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
anyone have experience with them? i'd like to be able to make dvds from my ntsc AND pal sourced tapes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by burningwheel

anyone have experience with them? i'd like to be able to make dvds from my ntsc AND pal sourced tapes

er maybe i should have my pal tapes transfered professionally. the cost isn't too much.

but then i'd like to have my ntsch video tapes transfered ...couldn't i just hook a vcr up to my plextor drive??
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

er maybe i should have my pal tapes transfered professionally. the cost isn't too much.

but then i'd like to have my ntsch video tapes transfered ...couldn't i just hook a vcr up to my plextor drive??

No. What makes you think you could? Does it have little phono-plug ports? THose are part of a very defunct I/O, not anything to do with A/V.

1) have the tapes converted professionally. With analog, expensive equipment makes a big difference.

2) For NTSC, you're still dealing with an analog signal, and analog video parts are getting harder to find. I once had some equipment from Aurora Video Systems that did all sorts of analog video I/O. It was some damn good equipment, but it has never been cheap. Most analog equipment can do PAL and NTSC, since that just gets handled digitally on the card and in driver software.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    should i have just a basic straight transfer? one compnay claims to run it thorugh a audio/video enhancer. would it be worth the extra $ to do that?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

should i have just a basic straight transfer? one compnay claims to run it thorugh a audio/video enhancer. would it be worth the extra $ to do that?

Depends how old the tapes are and how much it costs.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

...audio/video enhancer. would it be worth the extra $ to do that?

Depends on what it does. Ask if they have any samples of before and after. Audio enhancers I have seen involve toning down the hiss and performing what BBE does.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    it costs twice as much

oh yeah so the ntsc tapes i want to convert, shold i have those professionally done also? or would a vhs/dvd recorder be a good investment or are they junk?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    BBE?

this is what their site says:

"Video content is digitally filtered to improve video and sound quality."
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Sorry, I've seen their logo on many walkmans and car stereos, I thought it was becoming as ubiquitous as Dolby.

http://www.bbesound.com/