Problems waking from sleep

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
The past two days I have had trouble waking up my Mac from sleep mode. When I click the mouse button to wake up my Mac, the fans power up but the screen just stays blank, so I end up having to do a hard restart. Then the fun begins...

It has taken anywhere from 2-6 tries to get my Mac to boot up properly and get back to the log-in screen. Most of the time when I restart I just get the gray screen with the apple on it but no rotating progress circle/meter. Then I just keep doing a hard restart after powering down for a minute between cycles until I get to the log-in screen.

When I leave for the day I have always clicked on my account name in the top right of the screen to return to the log-in screen. Then I turn off my monitor and go home.

I have also had random system freezes at seemingly random times of the day this past week (about once a day) while using Firefox, or Photoshop. But I use those two programs most of the day - so I can't see a pattern.

Not to confuse things, but it should be noted that I recently installed the Sept. 16 security update this past Monday, and Tuesday morning was when I started having problems.

Any ideas?

::: Multi-account system, but I am pretty much the only user :::

::: Dual 1.8 GHz PowerPC G5 :::

::: Mac OS X Version 10.3.5 :::

Comments