Google Browser? They're nabbing MS' best talent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yes I know it's "just" the NY Post

Quote:

Google has wooed Joshua Bloch, one of the main developers of the Internet programming language Java, from Sun Microsystems. The company also hired four people who worked on Microsoft's Web browser, Internet Explorer, and later founded their own company. One of them, Adam Bosworth, is credited with being a driving force not only behind IE, but Microsoft's database-management program, Access. Most recently, Google grabbed Joe Beda, the lead developer on Avalon, Microsoft's code name for the user interface that will part of the next version of Windows, called Longhorn.

Take that MS. You want to hop into Google's territory they might just hit you back where it hurts. Honestly I'm loving the little uprising I'm seeing with Linux and Google taking MS on head strong. Apple...where are you?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Techtree report

Quote:

Another event that sent alarm bells clanging was the discovery of the fact that in April, Google registered the gbrowser.com domain. But this could also be the public name for the personal search system, codenamed Puffin that Google is working on. There is no way of verifying and Google is not talking.

Hmmmmmm

Gmail

Gbrowser

What's next?

Gmessaging?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Gworlddomination

Personally, I'd much rather see more effort put into an existing browser (ie. Firefox/Camino/whatever) instead of re-inventing the wheel again, but that's just my opinion...
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by mikef

Gworlddomination

Personally, I'd much rather see more effort put into an existing browser (ie. Firefox/Camino/whatever) instead of re-inventing the wheel again, but that's just my opinion...

Actually the Techtree article alludes to this. That Google may just use the firefox/mozilla renderer rather than roll their own.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Google is such a widely recognized brand on the internet, a google branded browser I feel has a much better chance of eating into the share of IE than the other browsers currently out there.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Google needs to come up with their own Linux distribution. Then watch out Microsoft.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Yeah, but how are they going to make money with a browser? I mean, their Gmail service is set up so they read your emails to target advertising at you ... what will they do with the browser? I'll tell ya one thing, it's staying the fuck off my machine.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Smart move. If IE6+ renders the Google toolbar unnecessary, by at last blocking pop-ups and -- at some point -- includes a search field with MS's own search engine, Google will need a serious plan B.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Google will be boughten by MS, or small and irrelevant like Netscape, in a few years. I don't get why MS didn't just buy them already. Why don't they do a hostile takeover like Oracle is doing to Peoplesoft? Anyway All they have to do is incorporate MSN in to IE better and Google is history. Just make it render "bad" or you know, the standard MS tactic. Make IE always take you to MSN by "accident" or to "help you" or whatever. It's all good, they pay Ashcroft enough I'm sure.

I am surprised they lasted this long. MS hasn't handled MSN very well. They got that browsers were key. They responded slowly, but surely. Netscape was crushed and will never, ever rise again. I keep reading how great Mozilla is doing. Gee, up to 5% share from like 1 or something. Wow. If it gets to 40% let's talk turkey.

Yeah I'm bitter.

Unless the US Government splits MS up there is no stopping them. If they could buy Apple they would, but then the DoJ would have to split them.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ionyzionyz Posts: 491member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I keep reading how great Mozilla is doing. Gee, up to 5% share from like 1 or something. Wow. If it gets to 40% let's talk turkey.

Yeah I'm bitter.

Unless the US Government splits MS up there is no stopping them. If they could buy Apple they would, but then the DoJ would have to split them.

Your right to be bitter when dealing with Microsoft. They are too large, ugly and powerful to be useful to anyone but their allies.

But Mozilla up to 5% is damn good. The browser wars are an uphill battle in ignorance and complacence.

If Apple reached 5% marketshare that would be damn good at this point too. Doubt the iMac will get them there but what the hell do I know. Completely misread the iPod Mini.