Panther on original ibook?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
As I've already mentioned in another forum (Email client thread) I'm interested in doing a lot of things with my original tangerine 300mhz ibook that I can't do using Jaguar (gmail, httpmail plugin 1.40, Expose, Fast User Switching.....).

Initially, I considered the brute size of Panther too much for my 3 gig HD.

I generally delete all the big chunks of the system I have no use for (language support files, images, speech, etc.) but I don't know how much of Panther I can safely shave.

Has anyone had success with this? How big is it really? After shaving it down is it comparable in size to Jaguar?

Any help is much appreciated, genii.

--B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Anyone? Not exactly rocket science, but would still help me out a bunch. ---B
  • Reply 2 of 5
    I did a iMac 233 and got it down to about a 1.5gb install.. take out languages, all the printers etc.. you still need at least 128mb of ram tho, but it isnt going to be fast
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

I did a iMac 233 and got it down to about a 1.5gb install.. take out languages, all the printers etc.. you still need at least 128mb of ram tho, but it isnt going to be fast

Thanks for the response! But I suppose that even the 288 mb I've got in her won't positively effect the performance enough to make it worth it.

\ Always wanted to drive a classic Jag anyway. 8)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    gsxrboygsxrboy Posts: 565member
    Panther might run a little better tho than Jag speed wise.. With 288mb of ram it should be useable (depending on your usage of course), 128mb is a bit of a stretch lotsa page outs and disk thrashing.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by gsxrboy

Panther might run a little better tho than Jag speed wise.. With 288mb of ram it should be useable (depending on your usage of course), 128mb is a bit of a stretch lotsa page outs and disk thrashing.

Faster you think? The most hearty application I'd be using is Photoshop every so often.

--B