Can a TiBook be used with an externall monitor?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
All you TiBook users out there..

Is it possible to plug it to an external monitor and have that running at bigger resolutions then the maximum possible on the built-in LCD?

Basically I want get an 800 mhz one but i need to be able to plug into my 19'er and run it at 1200 x 1600 while the laptop is closed and an external Keyboard and mouse are connected to it.. can it be done?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, it can be done. it will also span if you'd like.
  • Reply 2 of 14
    bobwbobw Posts: 49member
    Yes, the TiBook has an external Monitor port.
  • Reply 3 of 14
    The external monitor connection works great with my TiBook 800. The resolutions for each screen are set separately, and you play with the other settings as well.Now I'll just have to wait until I can afford that new LaCie to keep the PB company.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    Only thing that I don't like is that VLC doesn't like to fullscreen in dual monitor mode. I would like to play a movie in VLC on a second monitor while I work on the TiBook monitor, but at fullscreen the movie window disappears for VLC. =(
  • Reply 5 of 14
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Cool, thanks for the replies guys

So is it possible to span across two monitors and use different resolutions on both?

That would be way cool !!!

( I mean when using OS X.2)

[ 10-01-2002: Message edited by: rashumon ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 14
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    If you're spanning, then you're doing exactly that, each monitor will run at an independant resolution (unless you try to make them both the same res). And it works great on the Ti under 10.2.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 7 of 14
    pyr3pyr3 Posts: 946member
    [quote]Originally posted by scadboy:

<strong>If you're spanning, then you're doing exactly that, each monitor will run at an independant resolution (unless you try to make them both the same res). And it works great on the Ti under 10.2.

ciao,

michael</strong><hr></blockquote>

I think that he wasn't sure if the spanning was only at the same resolution as the laptop LCD. I beleive this is the case with the iBooks. Apple crippled them so that you can't get a different resolution than the laptop LCD, on the external monitor. Or maybe it was that the external monitor could only go as high as the laptop LCD's max res, even though the video card supports high resolutions.
  • Reply 9 of 14
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    Ooops, wrong shortcut name. I should have checked first. :o
  • Reply 10 of 14
    rashumonrashumon Posts: 453member
    Thanks guys... this is very informative stuff...
  • Reply 11 of 14
    TiBook looks like shit when connected to a tv via s-video adapter cable that comes with the computer.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce:

<strong>TiBook looks like shit when connected to a tv via s-video adapter cable that comes with the computer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

no*t if you are watching a dvd fullscreen on that tv off the powerbook

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>