How many songs do you have on your iPod?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
My cousin has offered to let me copy his 3,000+ CDs (I have around 250) in exchange for a 40gig iPod.

How big of a hard drive will I need to store all of these songs (would 250gbs be enough) and what is the total amount of songs that you have on your iPod? Looks like I'll be able to put near 10k in mine

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    The amount of space you'll need depends on a *lot* of factors...

Number of songs, compression format, bitrate, etc etc etc

As for the number of songs, i have just under 3000 on my 15gb 3rd Gen iPod
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

My cousin has offered to let me copy his 3,000+ CDs (I have around 250) in exchange for a 40gig iPod.

How big of a hard drive will I need to store all of these songs (would 250gbs be enough) and what is the total amount of songs that you have on your iPod? Looks like I'll be able to put near 10k in mine

lol that doesnt sound like a good deal to me. even if you get all that music, youre not gonna like all of it, and you wont even be able to listen to it on any sort of regular basis, and youre forking over a $400 ipod. whatever...

not to mention it's illegal to do that...
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Figure around 18 albums per GB if you're compressing at 128 kpbs, or (as I prefer) 12 albums per GB at 192 kpbs, considering a typical album to be around 50 minutes long.

You'd need around 167 or 250 GB to store 3000 albums, at 128 and 192 kpbs respectively. Not to mention a lot of time and patience to rip that many CDs.

If you're as anal retentive as I am about good tagging and having good artwork for all of your songs, ripping 3000 CDs might be a life's work. If you don't give a damn about artwork, will happily settle for whatever mistyped, misspelled song titles, artist names, and album titles you get automatically via CDDB download, and are diligent enough to rip 50 albums per day, you're still looking at two months work.

That said, the right to copy all of his CDs isn't something your cousin really has the right trade with or sell. I'm not so much of a stickler about the law that I get upset about a little casual sharing of music between family and friends, but this deal with your cousin goes a little too far in ignoring copyright, IMHO.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by shetline

That said, the right to copy all of his CDs isn't something your cousin really has the right trade with or sell. I'm not so much of a stickler about the law that I get upset about a little casual sharing of music between family and friends, but this deal with your cousin goes a little too far in ignoring copyright, IMHO.

In Homer Simpson Voice: If I've learned anything from law school, and I haven't, is that there are very few black/white legal rules. Your statement, that a family friend does not have the right to share his music with other family members, could be both affirmed or negated by case law. Family members are allowed to share music with each other and the original owner of the music is allowed to make personal copies (again, for themselves or for family members for noncommercial purposes) under current copyright law and the Fair Use doctrine. The RIAA and the music industry agree with the idea that this is illegal, but it just aint so. I don't have time to cite the appropriate case law/statutes to back this up because I have to go to my Contracts class, but I can do this later.

The following two books give an excellent discussion of issues like this and why corporate interests want the type of coryright laws that your statement alludes to:

Copyrights and Copywrongs

The Future of Ideas

http://www.megalaw.com/top/copyright/copyrightfair.php

Looks like I have a lot of work ahead of me
  • Reply 5 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Your cousin won't let you copy his CDs unless you give him a 40 Gig iPod?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    two things -

One, sounds like a pretty cold cousin, and two, why rip cd's that you don't like when ur never going to listen to them. What's the point? Do you merely want to brag about how many songs you have?
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by ian8

two things -

One, sounds like a pretty cold cousin, and two, why rip cd's that you don't like when ur never going to listen to them. What's the point? Do you merely want to brag about how many songs you have?

No.

Two points about the previous two posts:

1) My cousin and I have exactly the same musical tastes (eclectic, we like all genres) and I am familiar with the collection. So no, I won't be copying CDs that I don't like.

2) He did not ask for an iPod, I should have been clear about this in my original message. I asked him if I could copy the cds, he said yes, and as a thank you I offered to buy him an iPod.

Others have answered the questions behind my original post (how much memory to store/how much time to copy them).

For all of you intellectual property "experts" on this board:

Bart:

Isn't this vandalism dad?

Homer:

That's for the courts to decide son, that's for the courts to decide.

Replace the word "vandalism" with piracy
  • Reply 8 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Neruda

Your statement, that a family friend does not have the right to share his music with other family members, could be both affirmed or negated by case law. Family members are allowed to share music with each other and the original owner of the music is allowed to make personal copies (again, for themselves or for family members for noncommercial purposes) under current copyright law and the Fair Use doctrine.

I wonder if any affirming case law covers cousins, especially (as I would guess is the situation here, but I am just guessing) cousins who don't live in the same household?

At any rate, the fact that your cousin didn't actually ask for the iPod in return, as you said later, lowers my disapproval factor at least 12 points.