NOVA: Origins

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
PBS has been hyping their new special...

Click image for the website... alien life too.

Overseas members can watch preview clips online, and as per usual PBS tradition, the transcripts, extended interviews and full video archive will go up once the episodes air.

Looks fascinating. Starts in about an hour on Detroit PBS. Later on Seattle PBS.

Second episode tomorrow night.

Neil deGrasse Tyson has been a lucid speaker in other places I've seen him interviewed, so he should make an interesting host for the series.

Anybody else anticipating this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I hadn't heard of it, but it looks great. Thanks for the tip.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Nice CG on planet formation... lots of interviews with experts, practical explanations.

Music is a bit odd, but otherwise so far, so good. Fascinating.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    All you need to know about where life comes from is in your Holy Bible! Damn these know-it-all science types who don't know nothin' but runnin' down God and sweet Jesus!

(Someone had to say it! )
  • Reply 4 of 8
    "At this point, Everybody expects the Spanish Inquisition."
  • Reply 5 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Watching it right now. You still can't get this kind of programming on cable.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Pretty impressive first two episodes. Science without too much attitude.

Looks like some of the more pointed questions (alien life, why) come tomorrow.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    toweltowel Posts: 1,479member
    Very cool show.

As a eukaryote, I felt slightly miffed that they totally glossed over our evolution. Left the impression those cyanobacteria were lazily pumping oxygen for the better part of 3 billion years, when stuff suddenly crawled out of the ocean. Maybe they're just saving the details of the early evolution of life for tomorrow night, since they spent so much time on its origin tonight.

It would be cool, seeing as how my boss is "the RNA guy" around here, if they manage to bring up the idea of an RNA world in particular, and the evolution of our cellular machinery in general. I think it's totally fascinating that 80-90% of the history of life was spent perfecting the single cell; and how that perfection is reflected in the awesome similarity of the basic cellular machinery is in every known organism, from us to the most ancient archaebacteria.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    ...Im just waiting motherfuckers