667 PB vs. 800 17" iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
So how do they stack up against each other?

Real life and theoretically?

Speedwise, graphics, screen etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    The iMac will win in basicly everything except portablity.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    The PowerBook is going to be faster in almost everything, but it does have a slower hard drive. It's got a 133 MHz bus for one thing, better cache...

There are a few tests <a href="http://www.barefeats.com/pb8.html"; target="_blank">at Barefeats</a> that show it beating the iMac, and there are several other reviews out there as well.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    vikingviking Posts: 127member
    [quote]Originally posted by smithjoel:

<strong>The iMac will win in basicly everything except portablity.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not true. The powerbook is faster in just about everything. Even the Graphics card in the powerbook is faster (which you don't hear too often from a portable.) The drive is slower, but that can always be upgraded later to 5400 rpm,
  • Reply 4 of 11
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Well I have an 800Mhz TiBook and an 800Mhz iMac and the TiBook still has that bit of speed over the iMac.

Simple example is the wallpaper changing every 5 seconds. The iMac doesnt do it all that smoothly whereas the Powerbook really does!

my .02
  • Reply 5 of 11
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i would assume the GeForce 4MX would be better than the PB video card though, wouldn't it?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i would assume the GeForce 4MX would be better than the PB video card though, wouldn't it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well yeah, but I think most of this thread didn't notice the whole 17" bit. In theory:

800 &gt; 667 (G4, iMac wins, but the PowerBook has better cache!)

Ram is a toss-up

133 &gt; 100 (bus, PowerBook wins)

HD (iMac wins, though the larger size and real world fragmentation make this a bit of a moot point)
  • Reply 7 of 11
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>i would assume the GeForce 4MX would be better than the PB video card though, wouldn't it?</strong><hr></blockquote>

Funny you mentioned that, I forgot the iMac features that!!! Still, I still prefer the graphics on my TiBook! I guess I dont push either enough to notice graphic card differences
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Powerbook. Don't think of specs, think of functionality. The Powerbook can do anything the iMac can do, plus span monitors, plus go anywhere. Downside: no Supadrive.

Jet
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Have any of you iMac touters actually USED a powerbook more than fleetingly in an AppleStore?

Think about this:

Web conferencing using Yahoo! Messenger SuperWebcam wirelessly over AirPort from anywhere within 150ft...

Now that is cool...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    I'm not an iMac touter but I have used one. Nice.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I used one of the 800 MHz iMacs in my school's computer lab a few days ago, quite extensively, in OS X. It was slow. Slow slow slow. I don't know why; it should be fast. Maybe they did an update install of Jaguar instead of a clean one.

My dual G4/500: Much faster than an iMac, even though it has the same bus speed. Of course, the bus isn't saturated with an 8x multiplier, it's only 5x. Also, I have a Radeon Mac Edition, which is better than a GeForce 2MX.

I'm guessing a PowerBook G4/667 DVI will be much faster than an iMac. It has a 133 MHz bus (anything less today is just a joke) and that killer 1 MB of L3 cache. It should smoke the iMac.

EDIT: The 800 MHz iMac was the 15" one with the GeForce 2MX, so that may have something to do with it. It should still be fast.

[ 10-04-2002: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</p>