970 (REV A.) vs 970fx (REV B.)

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm looking at getting a used or refurbished PM G5. I've seen similar prices for systems with either the older 970 G5 CPUs and the newer 970fx CPUs. Should I care which I get? I heard there may have been problems with the earlier systems hanging up, etc. but I don't know if this was a HW or SW issue. Can anyone enlighten me?

Thank you,

Scott.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    There was some problems with the radeon 9600 of some dual 2 ghz. (Mine is ok) with rev A.

Some others problems with the cooling system : fixed with a software update.

Without opening the powermac G5, I think it would be difficult to notice the differences between the two boxes.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    I tested Rev. A and a Rev. B dual 1.8 machines, and it appears that the Rev. B has been tweaked/tuned slightly. The differences are so small as to be neglible, and I would consider both machines to be equal.

In the end I went for the Rev. A machine, because it offered 8 DIMM slots and PCI-X (both of which I have no need for) and twice the hard disk space and RAM.

My advice would be to purchase the machine that offers you the best value for money.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    fulmerfulmer Posts: 171member
    I believe that the newer CPU's consume less electricity than the older CPU's. I've got a dual 2GHz rev A ... it gobbles up electricity