Bargain of the Millennium

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I paid about £400 for the Pro version of PhotoRetouch Pro, now they are giving away what to me seems almost the full version. I wouldn't hang around incase they change their mind, this is a steal, it is a really good image manipulation programme, like a lot of professional applications it has a slightly steep learning curve, but they do provide an online training video.

PhotoRetouch

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    link no worky
  • Reply 2 of 10
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Yes it does I have just tried it, it's fine.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Addison

I paid about £400 for the Pro version of PhotoRetouch Pro, now they are giving away what to me seems almost the full version. I wouldn't hang around incase they change their mind, this is a steal, it is a really good image manipulation programme, like a lot of professional applications it has a slightly steep learning curve, but they do provide an online training video.

PhotoRetouch

Define "giving away". I'm not signing up for their spam just to get a frigging "quote".
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Nevermind. I thought you meant the price for PhotoRetouch Pro was substantially lower than what you paid.

The way you worded it screwed me up. "the Pro version of PhotoRetouch Pro"....no, you mean "PhotoRetouch Pro", period.

Anyway I still hate that they don't state the price for Pro directly.

• Reply 5 of 10
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I already have Photoshop CS, but what the hell...
  • Reply 6 of 10
    No offense to those that like this app...

Update: What an exasperating p.o.s. this software is. It has several intriguing features but the hamfisted approach to UI sends this one straight to the trash.

Oh and if you think all your files are gone suddenly, don't worry. It's just that the Open/Save dialog glitches out if you scroll to the bottom of a long folder listing and then go back to a relatively empty folder, it remains scrolled down to the white area, giving the impression that there are no items in the folder. How this is DigiCam's fault is beyond me, but I've never seen another app do it, so something is up. Probably used some pre-Panther, older version of Project Builder?

(btw my use of the word 'frigging' was aimed at the company not the thread starter )
  • Reply 7 of 10
    John, sorry for the wording. I love this application is has some brilliant features, it is not a Photoshop replacement it complements it. Its colour replace function is better than any I have seen elsewhere.

Yes it has a learning curve, and I have not got to grip with all of them, but it can morph a photo fantastically, you can nudge in those jowls.

You don't need to sign up for anything just click download.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

You don't need to sign up for anything just click download.

I mean, to get the price for any of their non-free apps, you need to submit info to get a quote emailed to you. It's a photo app not a $100,000 Oracle solution. Why not tell us the price upfront?

But yeah it has a few intriguing features, under the bad UI.

And it isn't a learning curve - it is stomaching a poor UI and tolerating bugs. I can grok the features immediately.

I think they would be better off developing plugins for Photoshop at this rate. Why reinvent the wheel? There are a few neat features but the surrounding app is, well, non-optimal, I'll leave it at that.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    John, there are no forms to fill out you just download the free application, did you download the Pro version?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

John, there are no forms to fill out you just download the free application, did you download the Pro version?

Sorry. There seems to be a misunderstanding. Yes, there is a free version of PhotoRetouchDigiCam, which you linked to, which is an immediate download. That is uncontested.

I was complaining however, about PhotoRetouch Pro and it's requiring one to request a quote:

http://www.binuscan.com/us/prp/order_usa.html

I don't know if that's true for the other products (or countries), and I've exhausted my interest, so I won't find out.

But anyway that's what I was referring to, Pro's request for quote requirement. Yes PhotoRetouchDigiCam is utterly free and a direct download.

Cheers