Help me understand weird e-mail behavior

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got something weird in my e-mail today that I didn't think was possible to get, and I wanted to put the situation out here and see if any of you could illuminate me...

I have an e-mail address through my school, which I access via POP3 using Mozilla Thunderbird (I have an XP Thinkpad for school). When I checked my mail this morning, I found I had received an e-mail from an old friend in Brazil.

The weird part happened when I saw that the letter was addressed to a hotmail account that I have never heard of before. I didn't even think you could POP a Hotmail account without hacking. Furthermore, I don't have a hotmail account.

I sent a message to this mysterious hotmail address informing him/her that his/her e-mail ended up in my account, but I haven't yet received a response.

I just wanted to know how this was possible. It wasn't a CC, BCC or anything like that - at least as far as I can tell. If it were, Thunderbird would have displayed it in the message header, right? If it were a mass message, wouldn't there be an indication of more than one recipient? As far as I can ascertain, there is only one addressee.

Any input that you can shed would be much appreciated.

Andrew

PS - I was thinking about writing this friend back and telling her, but I don't think the letter was supposed to go to me. It seems to be directed towards a more personal relationship than she and I have.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    I had this happen once in 20 years.

A PC user/coworker's email to another person, came to me and there was no trace as to how it happened. It was really strange and we never figured it out (and we're both professionals ~2 decades).