"Click-touchpad" idea

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I was thikning the other day of an idea. I'm wondering if Apple could make a touchpad for notebooks similar to the iPod mini and iPod 4th gen. click-wheel. The idea is that since Apple only uses one mouse button you can use the touchpad as a regular touchpad but instead of having the large button under it, the entire touchpad is also the button, so you can press it down. This would eliminate the button on notebooks, adding to Apple's ease of use and simplicity, and also allow for smaller notebooks and wide-screen models. Just an idea.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    Ummm, this is already built into the current PowerBook and iBook trackpads. Has been there for a while. Just go to System Prefs to turn it on. There are also some software mods/hacks that let you do scrolling with the trackpad.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by clonenode

Ummm, this is already built into the current PowerBook and iBook trackpads. Has been there for a while. Just go to System Prefs to turn it on. There are also some software mods/hacks that let you do scrolling with the trackpad.

I know you can already touch click with current touchpads, but I'm talking about making the entire touchpad clickable and eliminating the button altogether.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    The current touchpad has click sensing, but no click *feedback*, which is what I think is being asked for.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Kickaha

The current touchpad has click sensing, but no click *feedback*, which is what I think is being asked for.

Yes that's what I meant, similar to the feedback on the iPod's click-wheel.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by s_sarinana

Yes that's what I meant, similar to the feedback on the iPod's click-wheel.

I must admit this is a very interesting idea. Click, double-click, click&hold all integrated in the trackpad. It would be similar to the buttonless mouse that Apple sells as far as functionality is concerned.
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Boukman

I must admit this is a very interesting idea. Click, double-click, click&hold all integrated in the trackpad. It would be similar to the buttonless mouse that Apple sells as far as functionality is concerned.

It would make dragging a little more difficult though. I'd like Apple to find a way to never have to move your hands from the basic area of the keyboard.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    An offshoot of this idea is to make the corners clickable a la iPod for Expose, Screensaver, and other possible functionality.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

An offshoot of this idea is to make the corners clickable a la iPod for Expose, Screensaver, and other possible functionality.

sidetrack

which I think is what someone else was talking about earlier in the thread regarding scrolling on powerbook trackpads provides this functionality already. No feedback, but it's immensely useful.

I can (just!) understand the logic of sticking to one mousebutton, but not implementing a scrolling option in the basic Mac OSX track pad driver is a big mistake in my opinion.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by mortigi tempo

sidetrack

wow, thats really really cool. nice linkage!
  • Reply 10 of 15
    bergzbergz Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Originally posted by mattjohndrow

wow, thats really really cool. nice linkage!

Now the only problem is weaning myself from using the bloody scroll bar!!!!

AppleInsider has some serious linkage.

--B
  • Reply 11 of 15
    rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I like the idea....and as far as dragging, it would make it MUCH easier. Just don't lose the button; it is nice to have that as an option. Clicking dragging would be a ton easier.

Way to think different, s_sarinana!
  • Reply 12 of 15
    If the rumors about the MacBook touchpad being one big button are true...that's awesome. I thought about that idea back in 2004!

Update: It's true. My idea finally comes to life!
  • Reply 13 of 15
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ua2006 View Post

If the rumors about the MacBook touchpad being one big button are true...that's awesome. I thought about that idea back in 2004!

Well played. My hat's off to you!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ua2006 View Post

Well done!
  • Reply 15 of 15
    maybe you should be working for Apple... Good job!