Scroll wheel mouse

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I am really sorry if a thread like this exists elsewhere.

I got an idea. Why don't you take the scroll wheel off of the iPod and put it on a mouse? It could be Apple's new mouse. It could be touch sensitive and have clickable center (like the select button on the Mini) and be on the side (where your thumb sits). The only problem with this is that people will have to be right or left handed, if they decide to put it on one side (unless they put one on each side).Tell me what you guys think.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Actually apple already has patents for that idea. They have the exact same mouse they have now with a tiny circle up top.. *shrugs*... definitely needs it.... *he*andanotherbutton*chu*
  • Reply 2 of 8
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    Quote:

Originally posted by emig647

Actually apple already has patents for that idea. They have the exact same mouse they have now with a tiny circle up top.. *shrugs*... definitely needs it.... *he*andanotherbutton*chu*

How would that work? It seems like a very odd movement for you middle finger.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dino

How would that work? It seems like a very odd movement for you middle finger.

Well... this is one rendering of the idea Rendering ... you can also go to the patents page here patents
  • Reply 4 of 8
    dinodino Posts: 34member
    I get it now. Since essentially there is no conventional button, you could use your index finger instead of your middle finger to move around the scroll wheel and use the your whole hand for the button.

That's a pretty cool idea. Does anybody know when Apple might actually make it?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Quote:

Originally posted by dino

I get it now. Since essentially there is no conventional button, you could use your index finger instead of your middle finger to move around the scroll wheel and use the your whole hand for the button.

That's a pretty cool idea. Does anybody know when Apple might actually make it?

Your guess is as good as ours. Apple files for patents all the time and a lot of the time doesn't even use them. Personally i think they will need a whole new design of that mouse. BTW... if that scroll wheel would double as a 2nd button... I would be perfectly fine with that.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I would love to have this instead of the silly one-button mouse.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    It's an interesting idea but I wouldn't bank on the patent part as evidence of Apple even thinking about it.

Wasn't that just to get the patent for the actual iPod wheel without revealing its true nature?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    set wayback machine for...

January 29th, 2003.

just scroll down to my comment, which actually PREDATES apple's patent. (yes, i'm holding onto that lonely shred creative ownership... even though apple will likely make millions on it, and i'll still be just schlepping away in ignominy)