Honeywell sues Apple, 33 others over LCD patent

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Technology and manufacturing leader, Honeywell, has sued several tech companies over an alleged patent infringement.

Honeywell on Wednesday filed a lawsuit against Apple Computer and 33 other electronics companies claiming infringement of a Honeywell patent for technology that increases the brightness of images and that reduces the appearance of certain interference effects on a liquid crystal display (LCD).

The lawsuit claims the company's patented technology is being used in a variety of consumer electronics products, including notebook computers, cell phones, personal digital assistants, portable DVD players, portable LCD TVs, video game systems, and digital still cameras.

The suit, filed in U.S. District Court for the district of Delaware, seeks monetary damages and an injunction to prohibit the sale of products that infringe its patent.

Also mentioned in the suit are Sony, Kodak, Sanyo, Toshiba, Matsushita Electrical Corporation, and Dell.

Earlier on Wednesday, Honeywell agreed to pay (US)$2.15 million to settle a class-action lawsuit alleging violations of the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 at a company it acquired during a 1999 merger.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Sue 'em back with that Genie patent, Apple! That'll show them...
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Sounds to me like Honeywell is out for revenge
  • Reply 3 of 8
    trtamtrtam Posts: 111member
    I don't even get what it's about...do you?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Seems like they let it go way too long if this is true. Looks like the technology has found it's way into all kinds of applications, and for 33 companies. What the hell were they thinking? assuming they even have a case...
  • Reply 5 of 8
    So, the 30" will NEVER ship now?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    This sounds important, but I bet it's not. Being myself thrust into the arena of patents, patent litigation, etc, I can tell you that 99% of patents out there are complete bullshit, and don't stand in court.

I bet this "technology" is something like putting mirrors behind the backlight, or something to that extent.

This won't derail anything.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    airslufairsluf Posts: 1,861member
    Kickaha and Amorph couldn't moderate themselves out of a paper bag. Abdicate responsibility and succumb to idiocy. Two years of letting a member make personal attacks against others, then stepping aside when someone won't put up with it. Not only that but go ahead and shut down my posting priviledges but not the one making the attacks. Not even the common decency to abide by their warning (afer three days of absorbing personal attacks with no mods in sight), just shut my posting down and then say it might happen later if a certian line is crossed. Bullshit flag is flying, I won't abide by lying and coddling of liars who go off-site, create accounts differing in a single letter from my handle with the express purpose to decieve and then claim here that I did it. Everyone be warned, kim kap sol is a lying, deceitful poster.

Now I guess they should have banned me rather than just shut off posting priviledges, because kickaha and Amorph definitely aren't going to like being called to task when they thought they had it all ignored *cough* *cough* I mean under control. Just a couple o' tools.

Don't worry, as soon as my work resetting my posts is done I'll disappear forever.

• Reply 8 of 8
    zozo Posts: 3,117member
    yet another reason to hate my ex employer