Widescreen games recommendation?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can any of you recommend native widescreen games?

I know Warcraft III is native widescreen, and it looks pretty darn impressive at that resolution!

Command and Conquer Generals runs at 1024x768 stretched, so it's not real widescreen. Apparently the PC version can run widescreen, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Indiana Jones Demo plays with black bars on either side

I'm interested in buying Jedi Knight and/or Jedi Academy. Do these run native widescreen?

I've got an Apple 20 incher..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    paulppaulp Posts: 67member
    You can make any game based on the Quake 3 engine run at any resolution you like by typing this at the game's console:

/r_mode -1

/r_customwidth "1680?

/r_customheight ?1050?

(The numbers in quotes you obviously change to suite your needs).

It works with Jedi Knight, although I think you omit the forward slashes - can't remember exactly.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I play halo on my powerbook at 1280 x 854. It can probably go higher, but my display can't.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    I just ordered Knights Of The Old Republic anyway. Should get it in a few days. I hope it runs widescreen! I don't know if it is based on the Quake 3 engine like you said...

By the way, I just found that by manually editing the Options.ini file in the User Data directory, I can make C&C Generals run widescreen too! But there's no way of selecting it manually from within the game. Any changes (finding a balance between quality and performance) needs a game restart...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    >_>>_> Posts: 336member
    Quote:

Originally posted by drumsticks

Can any of you recommend native widescreen games?

I know Warcraft III is native widescreen, and it looks pretty darn impressive at that resolution!

Command and Conquer Generals runs at 1024x768 stretched, so it's not real widescreen. Apparently the PC version can run widescreen, but I'm not 100% sure.

The Indiana Jones Demo plays with black bars on either side

I'm interested in buying Jedi Knight and/or Jedi Academy. Do these run native widescreen?

I've got an Apple 20 incher..

World of Warcraft is due out some time next year.

I am in the beta, and I pride myself in that I was the one to have wide-screen implemented.

<- 17" Powerbook.

It plays amazingly, looks amazing, and suffice it to say, is amazingly addictive.

- Xidius
  • Reply 5 of 7
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    Unreal 2K4 and Civ III play in widescreen. I'll post more later.

While I don't play as many games as I used too, I'm always interested in keeping tabs on what's current. I too have a 20" Cinema Display so I'm gonna follow this discussion.

Even with 2x2GHz G5 and an ATI 9800 Pro, some games are too much for 1680x1050 resolution. In these cases, 1280x800 is usually available as a good option. (Damn me and my desire to max out quality settings!)
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Xool

Even with 2x2GHz G5 and an ATI 9800 Pro, some games are too much for 1680x1050 resolution. In these cases, 1280x800 is usually available as a good option. (Damn me and my desire to max out quality settings!)

I prefer to run it at native resolution to get the ultra sharp appearance at the expense of some additional animation. But that's just me.

I don't play too many games either, so I want the ones that I do end up buying play and look great! Thanks for your replies! Keep them coming!