Electronics app

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is there an application, where you can play with 'virtual components' wire them all together and have a play with 'virtual electronics'

How cool would that be?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    By "electronics," what do you mean?

There used to be a program called LogicWorks/DesignWorks that was fairly simple, and could simulate fairly simple circuit schematics. If I dig around my drive, i could probably find the logicworks file that had "Simon" simulated entirely in 74-series components.

Anyway, Mac LogicWorks ran pretty well. The wondows version had severe timing issues. No idea why, but I used a mac, so it didn't bother me.

Beyond this, there is a little thing called SPICE.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    Kind of like xpresso in cinema4d, but with virtual electronic components.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    As far as I can tell, Xpresso is just a batch processing tool for C4D that has some additional ability to give extra degrees of control to the modler/animator. I never really like C4D, though, so I haven't explored it too much, needless to say Xpresso. (Spline tools weren't very strong)

The keywords you should search for are:

Circuit Simulator

Circuit Emulator

Be wary of In-Circuit-Emulators, though, which are tools for hardware simulation of microcontrollers. That is, as the designer you can update the code on the fly. Not what you're looking for.

Also search for SPICE. It has been around forever, and I think it's more or less what you're looking for. It's a bit low level, though. When I hear "electronic components," I think about anything from resistors to microchips. Is that what you're aiming to simulate? It might help if you tell me what your project is.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    No project in mind, I just thought it would be cool if there was an app, probably education app, that lets you pull up a load of standard electrical components, such as resistors, transistors, capacitors, buzzers, leds, simple logic chips like a 555 timer, and let you wire them together like you can in expresso. Obviously, as you play around, you dont want to be limited to the simple stuff, but I was thinking like a virtual electronics kit on the computer.

I used to play with the electronic kits when I was 8 years old, I just thought it would be cool if I could do that on my computer.

Apologies if I come across as retarded!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    skipjackskipjack Posts: 263member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Splinemodel

There used to be a program called LogicWorks/DesignWorks that was fairly simple, and could simulate fairly simple circuit schematics.Beyond this, there is a little thing called SPICE.

LogicWorks 4.5 is available as a free demo at Capilano Computing

Another free demo can be found at McCAD Electronic Designs Systems .

These two are graphical. SPICE for the Mac is, I think, most easily obtained as MacSpice 3f5 . This one is not graphical.

Then, there is PSPICE, which can be run under VPC. A student version is available with many textbooks and shouldn't be too hard to find. I mention this because you (MarcUK, not Splinemodel) might start with simple circuits. Otherwise, you might find it painfully slow (depending on your threshold).