iDisk Question

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
My .mac renewal is next week, and I wanted to get some info before I made a decision of whether or not to renew.

I use my iDisk sparingly, but 4 out of 5 times, it is painfully slow -- to open folders, u/l, d/l, etc.

Is the slowness inherent in the system, or is there a setting I could change? I'm on DSL.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    People have complained about slowness, but I've never really experienced it.

Sure it takes a few minutes to upload a 20MB movie that I made or 20 seconds to upload a pic, but I find it invaluable for making files available to my friends and family or to be able to use my iDisk in a pinch to transfer files between computers at work.

Also, since I killed my PowerBook by pulling it off a table, not a day goes by that I don't use Backup to keep everything safe on my iDisk in the event that it happens again to my iBook.

To me it's well worth it, but I use it every single day.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    I'm talking about minutes to show the contents of a folder.

You've never had to deal with that?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    No, I haven't had anything like that.

I just opened my iDisk, then opened my Pictures folder.

Just counting in my head, 324 items appeared in about 12 seconds.

I opened the Software folder and that did take about three minutes.

Just a guess, but maybe the stuff that you access often gets cached in some way.

I access my Pictures, Public and Movies folders practically everyday, but I can't remember the last time I accessed the Software folder on my iDisk.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    I personally never found the .Mac needed. I just have my own domain name and host it with Lunarpages.

They offer 1000mb, unlimited email accounts and more for 7.95/month

I use FTP to keep my files separate from the web. Seems a lot better than idisk

I will tell you that i am a moderator on their forums but i am not paid and i have no other affiliation. Email me if you have questions