new to apple, need help!

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
im pretty familiar with the windows os, but my parents want to buy a mac so i have a few questions. if i were to buy one can i connect it wirelessly with my linksys router? i read about the airport cards but dont know if they're compatible. if not what would i need to buy in order to conect both of them on the same router. also, what is the most current apple os. i'v seen like 10 of them just searching for computers and dont know which one is the best/most current. and last but not least what is the difference between powermac's and imac? do they come "airport ready"?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Airport is 801.11b, Airport Express is 802.11g, same as any other WiFi systems out there. No worries there.

MacOS X 10.3.5 is the latest OS.

The PowerMacs have two G5 processors, and a faster bus. They have expansion slots, and do not come with a monitor.

The iMac has one G5 processor, a video card that is not directly upgradable (but is replaceable if an upgrade becomes available), and *IS* the monitor.

Both are Airport Express ready.

For most home use, the iMac is more than adequate. If you're going to be using it for massive number crunching, professional work, or high-end gaming, you may want to be looking at the PowerMac, but it'll be quite a bit more.

The iMac G5 is a great system for the home.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    jidojido Posts: 125member
    Wireless connection will work fine with any Airport card (sold as option) as long as the router is not limited to 802.11a.

Any new Mac will come with MacOS X 10.3.5. If you buy second-hand, you may need to buy MacOS X 10.3 which you can upgrade with a free download to MacOS X 10.3.5.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ic1maleic1male Posts: 121member
    Does Mac OS X 10.3.5 come with Mac OS 9 for classic purposes when you buy a new Mac?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by ic1male

Does Mac OS X 10.3.5 come with Mac OS 9 for classic purposes when you buy a new Mac?

If you buy OS X it does not come with OS 9, but OS 9 comes installed on new macs. You can't boot into OS 9 on newer macs though, you can only boot into OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    how does this system look http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWA:IT. is that one airport ready?
  • Reply 6 of 11
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    No, it is not.

It is also *really freaking old*. Yeah, it'll work... but it won't be pretty.

Well okay, the blue is pretty and the shape is nice, but... you know what I mean.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    it IS airport ready, but the card that is needed to upgrade it is no longer available from apple... it might end up costing $150 to upgrade to a wireless card with this computer (you need an airport card AND a supplemental circuit board/holder )...

I'd seriously consider getting a new G5 iMac.

but how much are you looking to spend?

also if you live near an apple store: http://www.apple.com/retail/ the staff there would be more then willing to answer any questions you may have.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    i need absolute bare minimum, my parents wanna spend like 400 max.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    You aren't going to find a Mac from an Apple Store fro $400, so it's off to eBay. I'm assuming that it's 400 USD and you are in the USA.

Things to look for:

• You probably want a G4 processor

• Do you want a PowerMac or an all in one? You can probably get a PowerMac G4 400, maybe a 733MHz one (the reason for the large jump is that the other models in between are mostly dual processor, and sell for more than $400).

• You will need 256MB RAM (preferably more) for Mac OS X. If the Mac doesn't come with enough it's probably too expensive to add it later.

• As usual, watch out for scams, broken or damaged items and the like.

• Reply 10 of 11
  • Reply 11 of 11
    i would prefer an imac because it has the comp and monitor all in one, if i could find a monitor and a g4 comp for 400 then great. the link that i posted has 384 ram which should be sufficient.